Performance Issues

Hey Everyone,

I noticed that my first person shooters haven't been performing as they should anymore. Most noticeably my Source Games and Battlefield 2/2142 are unplayable. Their frame rates have dropped significantly to the point where I'm only getting 5-6fps.

For some odd reason, Guild Wars performs flawlessly. I hate that game by the way! Normal PC tasks are fine. Video Playback is fine. Just my FPS games. I play Counter-Strike: Source, Battlefield 2, and Battlefield 2142. Each of these games are now unplayable.

They worked fine up until I added a secondary hard drive for extra storage. Maybe my power supply is giving out? I don't see how my normal PC functions can go fine, but not games. Also Sims 2 has received a minimal but noticeable performance hit as well.

PC Specs:
Athlon 3000+ 2.1Ghz
nForce-CK8S Motherboard
nVidia 6800LE 128MB
1024MB(2x512MB) DDR RAM
300 Watt PSU

Anything else? I dunno... I may try and unplug that new hard drive, maybe it's sucking too much power out of the PSU and it's not supplying the video card with enough juice.

Oh, BTW, I do have a dual monitor setup as well. Previously, before the addition of the new hard drive and secondary monitor, games have been performing fine. I did disconnect the 2nd monitor and reinstalled the display drivers only to experience the same performance issues with the single monitor attached so I put the 2nd one back in since it makes no difference with/without it.

Thanks a lot guys, I'd appreciate the help...
12 answers Last reply
More about performance issues
  1. 300 Watt PSU ? I think it is enough for a Athon 2.1G and a 6800LE

the video card driver issue, may be :roll:
  2. Guild Wars owns, your power supply, does not. :P
  3. Games are where your video card will be stressed and therefor use more power.

Typycally though, a failing PSU will cause crashing in games, not stuttering. But I have heard of it happening in some rare cases.

And it certainly wouldn't hurt to get a more suitable PSU, something with 24+ amps on the 12v rail...
  4. Quote:
    Games are where your video card will be stressed and therefor use more power.

Typycally though, a failing PSU will cause crashing in games, not stuttering. But I have heard of it happening in some rare cases.

And it certainly wouldn't hurt to get a more suitable PSU, something with 24+ amps on the 12v rail...

What does that mean? How do I know how many amps my current power supply is supplying? Shall I go for 350Watt Power supply? That's just a small step up. Or should I go for something larger?

Quote:
    300 Watt PSU ? I think it is enough for a Athon 2.1G and a 6800LE

the video card driver issue, may be :roll:

I know... 300 is pushing it. That's the minimum requirement for the 6800LE.
    I'm using the most current nVIdia drivers and it still stutters.

I tried disconnecting both the secondary monitor, and the new hard drive and the performance was still shot. I don't know what to do. Can the PSU be permanently damaged or something?
  5. The amps on the 12v rail is more important than the watts.

It will say how many amps it provides on the 3.3, 5, and 12v rails on a sticker on the PSU.
  6. Quote:
    The amps on the 12v rail is more important than the watts.

It will say how many amps it provides on the 3.3, 5, and 12v rails on a sticker on the PSU.

Ok, here's what's on the PSU Sticker:

Input Rating: 115V/230V, 10A/6A, 60/50Hz
    Output Rating:
    Red: +5V - 20A
    Yellow: +12V - 12A
    White: -5V - 0.3A
    Blue: -12V - 0.5A
    Orange: +3.3V - 14A
    Purple: +5VSB - 2.0A
    Green: PS-ON
    Black: GND

What does all that mean? How will this info help?
  7. 12A on the +12v rail is waaay waaaay low

you really need a better psu (at least 20A on the +12v rail)
  8. Quote:
    12A on the +12v rail is waaay waaaay low

you really need a better psu (at least 20A on the +12v rail)

Ok, so I should look for a new PSU with higher Amp rates for the +12 rail? Is that all? I'm gonna go out and buy one now...
  9. Yes. Although we can't guarantee it's the problem, it's certainly a candidate... 12 amps on the 12v rail is ridiculously low, and the video card will use the 12v power.
  10. Quote:
    Yes. Although we can't guarantee it's the problem, it's certainly a candidate... 12 amps on the 12v rail is ridiculously low, and the video card will use the 12v power.

Ok, I installed a new PSU and it still is getting performance issues. Actually, I think installing a new PSU messed up my pc! 3DMark doesn't work anymore! The 3D Benchmarks don't run anymore... Bah!

New PSU Specs:
    Dynex
    350-Watt
    +3.3V -- 28A
    +5V -- 30A
    +12V -- 19A
    -12V -- 0.8A
    -5V -- 0.5A
    +5V sb -- 2.0A
  11. Is the second monitor on? Is it plugged in?

Regardless, having the other monitor for dual monitors plugged in and powered will significantly reduce the FPS of some games. Doom 3 was pretty much unplayable when my second monitor was plugged in.
  12. Quote:
    Is the second monitor on? Is it plugged in?

Regardless, having the other monitor for dual monitors plugged in and powered will significantly reduce the FPS of some games. Doom 3 was pretty much unplayable when my second monitor was plugged in.

I'll try unplugging it... I'm sure it'll suffer the same fate! :cry:
    But heck, it's worth a try... Brb with the results!
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Battlefield Games Graphics