CPU/GPU for hardcore gaming and high end visual rendering programs

Xiij

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013
I want to build a setup in wich i want to be able to play virtually any game (with fraps or similar program running) on max settings, but I also need to be able to create high polygon objects in zbrush and such programs and do hd video editing,

i hear as of late intel makes better cpu's for gaming but amd's 8 core cpu helps with rendering

i also know that nvidia's cuda softwae also helps with rendering

i am partial to amd (CPU and GPU), but is intel so much better for my needs that it would be stupid not to take it?

I think I would focus on the Intel® Core™ i7-3770K and matched up with a good GTX 660 ti or 670 or one of the higher end cards from the other guys like the HD7970.

Unless the application that you are using will take advantage of the extra threads of the Intel Core i7-3930K and the extra memory bandwidth of the socket 2011 processors.

InvalidError

Titan
Pretty much what the above said.

If you say "high-end" and truly mean it, AMD has nothing that can compete against the i7-3930k and beyond.

GPU-wise, that usually translates into a pair/trio of the highest-end single-GPU cards available or a pair of the latest dual-GPU cards.

Murderotica926

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
If only gaming, do NOT waste your money on an 8-core. No current game uses more than 4 threads and I don't any game will before the next few years (I know this because I do multi-threaded programming myself). If you buy an i7, you are only utilizing the half the CPU essentially. Go for the highest-end quad-core, like the i5 (2500k or 3570k). For pure gaming, the i7 will not offer any performance gains over the i5.

If you want to do a LOT of video rendering, than the i7 is worth it.

GPU: For most current games, a single HD7970 Ghz Edition (3GB VRAM) will max out just fine. But for games like Far Cry 3 and future games, you might want dual HD7970s, GHz editions, each with 6GB VRAM. If that's too costly, the 3GB VRAM versions will still be incredlble.

If you have $1000 to drop on a GPU, you could always go with the GTX 690. It's cheaper than dual 6GB 7970s, but wont stay relevant quite as long

Murderotica926

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
Actually you know what, if you want to be recording with fraps while you play, you might actually want to consider an 8 core. A game like BF3 uses 4 threads. If you introduce Fraps into the mix, it's gonna need its own thread. So you are taking (at least) 1 thread away from your game, which is why framerate drops so bad once fraps starts recording. I personally haven't tried running a 4-thread game + fraps on a 6 or 8 core CPU, but I would imagine you could use the extra cores to handle fraps while still leaving 4 cores for whatever game you are playing. Theoretically you wouldn't lose any FPS while recording with fraps with a 6 or 8 core.

Xerophie

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
Personally in case of cost vs performance values, using processor with integrated GPU like intel "i" (or APU in AMD) series is a total waste.
We do not need integrated GPU for advanced-ultimate gaming, it’s the graphics card that does the hard work, not the CPU.

I would recommend on using less cost cpu like AMD's Vishera Series and get a real Graphics card.

That rule are applied too for rendering visual job, even better its need more CPU work.
Server processor like Xeon will be much wise choice.

Sorry, english is not my native language.

timo39

Honorable
Oct 20, 2012

WHY THE FUCK do you post on a 2 year old thread???