upgrade to W2K problem

Brad

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I am trying upgrade to W2K from Win95. A little background...A friend of
mine gave me a floppy that he has labeled Win98 boot disk. I used this to
wipe out the hard drive on a Win98 computer and I successfully installed W2K.
He had me boot to the A:drive and do a "format c:/u/c and that "blew away",
formatted, the hard drive. I was then able to insert the W2K CD and reboot.
When it booted up to the DOS window, I typed A:\D: and then D:\setup.exe and
I was able to install W2K. Now, I'm trying to do the same on another
computer that is running Win95. I used the same Win98 floppy and it says
that the C drive is formatted. Then I inserted the W2K disk and rebooted the
computer. It gives me three choices in DOS mode...(1)Boot with CD
support...(2)Boot Without CD support...or(3)Type help and hit enter. I've
tried options 1 and 2 and the only one that seems to get me close to where I
need to be is #1. It takes me to the point where I can type A:\D:,
D:\setup.exe, but I get an "error" message saying that it is unable to run
this application in DOS mode. Does anyone have any idea what I can do to get
the W2K setup to run?

Thanks
Brad

To do a clean install, either boot the Windows 2000 install CD-Rom or setup
disks. The set of four install disks can be created from your Windows 2000
CD-Rom; change to the \bootdisk directory on the CD-Rom and execute
makeboot.exe (from dos) or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the
prompts.

Be sure to apply these to your new install before connecting to any network.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D2A8-40D0-A0C5-241BFECD095E/W2KSP4_EN.EXE

Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]