Sign in with
Your question

Good Router Suggestion

Last response: in Networking
January 13, 2007 11:31:00 AM

Hey, I'm in the market to buy a new router, could anyone suggest me a good wired and a good wireless router in the 1-100$ range? My linksys befsr41v4 is just garbage, so many dropped connections and just slow performance and it's just about impossible to connect to xbox live correctly, since it's not on their list of supported routers http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/connecttolive/xbox360... . I definitely don't want to have to be pulling my hair out trying to figure out whats wrong anymore, just want a new one that will work for everything. FYI - running comcast 8 mbps and using an RCA DCM325 modem if that should help.

More about : good router suggestion

January 13, 2007 4:38:51 PM

I use SMB class routers (wired) which is normally more than what you want to spend. I like the VPN endpoint routers. The FVS328 normally is $120 NEW. I picked up one on ebay for $40. It's a solid router that you can run BT without any problems. I have sinced moved up to a FVS338 model, which I picked up for $120 on ebay NEW. Both of these routers are 8 ports. The 328 is rated at 52mbps on the wan, where the 338 is 92. I use a USR AP for my wireless.

If you want gigabit combo, I think the Dlink DGL-4300 is the best.

But a year from now I expect to see the 11n linked up with gigabit routers. Don't wast your money on any of the 11n hardware right now unless it meets the v2 spec. To my knowledge none do at this time. Which tells me none of the current hardware is upgradeable.
January 13, 2007 11:21:27 PM

Quote:
I use SMB class routers (wired) which is normally more than what you want to spend. I like the VPN endpoint routers. The FVS328 normally is $120 NEW. I picked up one on ebay for $40. It's a solid router that you can run BT without any problems. I have sinced moved up to a FVS338 model, which I picked up for $120 on ebay NEW. Both of these routers are 8 ports. The 328 is rated at 52mbps on the wan, where the 338 is 92. I use a USR AP for my wireless.

If you want gigabit combo, I think the Dlink DGL-4300 is the best.

But a year from now I expect to see the 11n linked up with gigabit routers. Don't wast your money on any of the 11n hardware right now unless it meets the v2 spec. To my knowledge none do at this time. Which tells me none of the current hardware is upgradeable.

What is BT? And also, do the VPN routers handle NAT? Because they're not on the xbox live list of routers.
Related resources
January 14, 2007 1:21:26 AM

BT Bit tolerent or P2P.

Yes the router does NAT (all routers do otherwise it's a switch) + a lot more features. The firewalls are a little more robust than a residential router.

These are VPN endpoint routers. Meaning that you connect to the router and have full access to your internal network.
January 14, 2007 10:19:10 AM

Quote:
BT Bit tolerent or P2P.

Yes the router does NAT (all routers do otherwise it's a switch) + a lot more features. The firewalls are a little more robust than a residential router.

These are VPN endpoint routers. Meaning that you connect to the router and have full access to your internal network.

Is one of these firewalls going to be pretty hard to understand how to work with someone who has limited knowledge in networking?
January 14, 2007 4:29:15 PM

No to the Firewall. Only thing you will notice is that the services are more complete with the option to add anything extra you need.

It has the capability to filter by words or site, too. But I do not recommend using the router as proxy server.
!