Re-install XP after drive crash

March 31, 2005 4:29:16 AM

Thanks for the reply. In a round about way you answered my question. I
appologize for not including some of the information you noted was
missing. I did not really think it would matter what brand computer I
have or what version XP I was referring to.
Basically, I had a computer that died. I had already installed an XP
upgrade months before. After the desktop died and was trashed I
decided to go with a laptop. I want to install the upgrade I had
previously registered onto the laptop. I did not know if there was a
way to do this since it was already registered, but by your reply it
seems all I have to do is install and then talk to someone at
Microsoft. Thanks again for the reply.

--
serodgers

More about : install drive crash

Anonymous
March 31, 2005 12:00:29 PM

Hi, serodgers.

It probably doesn't matter which make computer you have, but we didn't have
enough information to know that it didn't - so I asked. I'm glad that we
communicated enough "in a round about way" to provide an answer that works
for you. ;<)

We should clarify one point, though. It sometimes gets in the way when
trying to discuss this issue.

Registration is voluntary; activation is mandatory.

Registration furnishes information about YOU to Microsoft, IF you choose to
register.

Activation sends some information about your computer configuration, but
tells MS nothing about the user. You can activate WinXP on the same
computer an unlimited number of times. You can activate it on a different
computer if it has been more than 120 days since the last previous
activation. If you change your computer's components so much that it no
longer is recognized as "the same computer", you might need to activate it
again. For the official word on activation, see this website:
http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/activation.mspx

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA