Windows vs Linux vs MacOS

nofearskill

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011
Iv bought a little netbook from acer with the intel atom cpu, big mistake since the amd c50 cpu can play crysis and the atom cpu struggles even playing a 1080p video on youtube. Oh, they are the same price. Call me crazy, but i used intel all my life and i was pretty satisfied with the performance and i was just scared of the change.

Now, back to topic. I like the netbook because it's portable, i use it for internet browsing, watching some star-trek, msn, rarely for games like diablo and some older titles i used to own in the era of 486-pentium ii. Will linux work better then windows 7 for my needs? Will it consume less battery? Will all the features work? (Wireless, My 3g modem. etc) Will i be able to play the same old games i do now using wine? Iv never used linux but i like the ideea of a free os.

Also, iv heard MacOS can be installed on a windows pc, is it hard? will it work faster then windows? all the futures? Is it legal?

Edit: Specs of the netbook:
CPU: Intel Atom n570 Dual Core 1.66GHz
RAM: 1GB DDR3
HDD: 250GB
Videocard: not sure, i think it's 8 MB

Thanks

gnomio

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2011
Mac OS on a pc other than a Mac is illegal and cannot be discussed here
If you wanna play games use windows.
You can always install Linux in a virtual machine and get the hang of it while still enjoying the advantages of both windows and linux.

daship

Distinguished
OSX can be installed but there is no native atom support, and notebook/netbook support is real spotty. For OSX you need to do your homework, build a desktop with compatible parts.

Im running triple boot, OSX Snow Leopard, OSX Lion, and Windows 7.

athornfam2

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2011
i wouldn't install mac on a netbook it would be better on a computer the has VT (virtualization technology) then you can virtually have mac on vmware or you could dual boot it on the system. just make sure that it has enough processing power, ram, and HDD space too run both Windows 7 and Mac OS X

nofearskill

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011
the mac os is not important, it was a simple question, and if it's not 100% legal i don't want to hear about it. this topic is about how can i improve the performance of the netbook? i mean sometimes it even struggles playing 720p videos. will linux or any other operating system improve the performance over windows 7?

thanks for the replys

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
area51 is spot on, your problem is that your netbook is not designed to play games. It's not the OS, it's not AMD. That netbook was meant to surf the web and check email so everything under the hood is low horsepower.

nofearskill

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011
i do not want to play crysis. i want to be able to watch 720p video whit no lag what so ever. rarely it even struggles playing 720p videos, THAT IS MY PROBLEM! i said i use it for internet and movies, not games, i only play diablo RARELY.

jbadz

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2011

windows is very demanding on the hardware. Considering your specs, installing linux would be a better option. I suggest Ubuntu linux (www.ubuntu.com). It can run even if your RAM is just above 500Mb and your processor 500Mhz.