building new cpu...been 6 years..

acoustic5679

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2007
I guess I should start here since the mobo is what I am starting with... It has been six years since I built my last one. My requirments are I need --

---onboard ethernet (which everything has I see)

---IDE/SATA capable I have a 320 gig HD I use for storage and I need a mobo capable of reading the old IDE drives. Plus I have a dvd burner that runs off IDE as well. I have looked at a lot of new mobos and they seem to all be going to SATA, but I still see most have 1 ide connector on the mobo probably for dvd drives and stuff. It is ok to have a HD and a dvd burner on this one ide connecter right?

--- onboard audio (at least 5 channels)I need digital coax out for going to my receiver.

other then that I use my PC for burning dvd projects, little gaming here and there, and media encoding. I don't do too much. It would be nice to see FEAR looks like running well on my 42" HD monitor. :D

I am thinking of going with an Intel chipset again. I have heard thier cor duo's are very good... I have not kept up with cpu tech so I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice. I basically have a $900 budget for the following...

MOBO
processor
Memory
video card
power supply
fans (unless the case doesn't come with them)
case
Heat sink (if processor doesn't come with it)

I have everything else I need. I want a system that will last me a good time, but not run me over 2k. I don't need the best, but best for the money. Anyone have any suggestions on a setup???

IE.

EVGA 512-P2-N635-AR GeForce 7950GT 512MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 KO Video Card - Retail $239.00

G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ - Retail
$139.99

MSI P6N SLI Platinum LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
$164.99

Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 Conroe 2.13GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6400 - Retail
$222.00

All this comes to $756.00 and I still need the case and power supply

Any suggestions on getting cheaper components but not sacrificing too much power?

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
You can run a hdd and dvd burner off the same cable. If you're running an OS on the hdd it needs to be the Master but not sure if it's just being used for storage. If you're not into heavy overclocking you could find a less expensive mobo. You'll want onboard firewire if you have a digital camcorder and unfortunately most mobo with firewire also have SLI, which from the sounds of it you don't need. I would think a 965 mobo would work, don't know that the 950 would be that much faster for video editing. My experience with video has convinced me that capturing, rendering, and burning take a long time and shaving a second or two really doesn't make a noticeable difference.

fender22

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2007
On a 900 dollar budget.. Core 2 Duo is at the top if not a little above your range.. And for budget game builds and budget computers in that range.. It tends to be the best bang for buck with the whole computer, if you buy AMD.. But if u plan on 6 years again without any cpu upgrades.. I think you should go for the most CPU power u can right now and ride it out like it seems you did on your last system...

Id do athlon x2 with maybe a x1950xt 2GB pf PC2-6400, 600W psu, a HDD of your liking. on $$900 if AMD Id go for a amd x580 chipset AKA ATI 3200xpress.. or if u want nvida you could probably go with a 590 chipset.. if INTEL go with probably a 650 chipset as the 680s are kinda spendy....

bobak

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
Buy a Core2 whatever you do. Even the cheapest one will trample all over anything from AMD. They are very capable. I havea 6300 and it does me good.

Only thing I will say is..."It would be nice to see FEAR looks like running well on my 42" HD monitor" ??

Errr.. Dude... Triple your budget. Get a Core2 6600 with 2Gb RAM, and a 8800GTX 768Mb. Otherwise Forget F.E.A.R. on a 42" at full settings!

First of all, you might want to wait a bit for some anticipated core 2 duo price cuts in april? The included c2d cpu cooler works well.
For a vga card, look at the article here:
http://www6.tomshardware.com/2007/03/06/the_best_gaming_video_cards_for_the_money/ and pick your price point . the 7950gt is probably not the best one. For gaming, the 8800gts-320 looks good.
Look at a P965 based motherboard from a reputable vendor. It should cost only $90-115. Memory looks good, but 667 speed would not be noticed if it is cheaper. look at 1.8v memory for the P965 boards.
Get a case that appeals to you. I like simple cases without front doors that are quiet. Most psu's that come with cases are not very good. An exception is the antec P150 which comes with a nice modular antec neohe-430 psu. Plan on a psu of at least this wattage. look at psu101 in these forums for guidance.

You can attach both a HD and DVD to the same ide channel, but if you are using both at the same time, the hard drive will be slowed considerably. If this should be a problem, a $10-20 pci card will solve it.
I think most of the P965 boards will have digital coax output, I know thw gigabyte 965p-ds3 does.
---good luck---

fender22

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2007
Buy a Core2 whatever you do. Even the cheapest one will trample all over anything from AMD. They are very capable. I havea 6300 and it does me good.

Only thing I will say is..."It would be nice to see FEAR looks like running well on my 42" HD monitor" ??

Errr.. Dude... Triple your budget. Get a Core2 6600 with 2Gb RAM, and a 8800GTX 768Mb. Otherwise Forget F.E.A.R. on a 42" at full settings!

not quite true.. the e6300 is about the same as a 4600+, but the e63 will overclock much better

Absolutely, you could add a firewire pci card for $5-10. This would typically add two ports to the rear. This might be cheaper than upgrading to a more full functioned motherboard that includes firewire.
It might be more convenient if the motherboard included a firewire header, and you attached it to a front panel of your case, assuming it had one, so you could plug in the device from the front. If the device is semi permanently connected, then a rear panel firewire connector would be better.
For any motherboard that you might consider, go to the manufacturer's web site, and download the manual for the board. This should give you all the detail that you might need to know. Make certain that you feel comfortable with the installation instructions and features. If such a manual is not available, or is poorly written, it is an indicator that good support from that vendor might not be so good.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
I do need firewire... I could just get a firewire card couldn't I?????

You can always add a firewire card but given most boards now only come with 2 or at most 3 PCI slots I think if makes more sense to get it on board. The price difference between board with firewire even with SLI and buying a separate card is about the same so buying a separate card isn't going to save any real money.

acoustic5679

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2007
Without too much money... What would be a good Mobo that would be comparable to the GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3 LGA 775 Intel P965 with a firewire built in? Oh and this is the system I have came up with so far...

COOLER MASTER Centurion 534
EVGA 320-P2-N811-AR GeForce 8800GTS 320MB
OCZ GameXStream OCZ600GXSSLI ATX12V 600W Power Supply
pqi 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667
GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3 LGA 775 Intel P965
Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 Conroe 2.13GHz LGA 775

All this comes to $900 at Newegg.com

horstmann

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
Standard Intel boards will not overclock at all. I know because thats what I bought for my first build a couple years ago and I am still kicking myself for it. The Badaxe boards will overclock, but cost a lot more.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
I need a digital co-ax out as well though... But those look good besides that. Never heard of the company though..

This is an ASUS mobo I have on my wish list that has everything you want but costs $145 If audio is really important, you might be better off getting a stand alone audio card that will give you better sound and use less memory than onboard. If you don't have the money for an audio card now, if you're running your audio though a receiver, you can always temporarily use RCA cables, which is what I'm doing until I get a new receiver.

acoustic5679

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2007
I use a digitsal coax from the mobo to my receiver. I have a pretty old mobo Soyo fire dragon and the on board audio going digital coax out sounds pretty good on my home theater system.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Originally I was using a Creative Audigy 2 ZS but suddenly had a driver conflict, first time over several years use, and am now using the onboard audio until I get around to reinstalling the Creative card and it sounds pretty good. My receiver is an old Denon and doesn't have any digital inputs so have a new receiver on my wish list, which may take me years to get through. :cry: I've put my entire CD collection on my hard drive and my first retirement project will be capturing my albums, which looks pretty tedious. Have it all in the basement since my wife isn't a big music fan, it's always too loud, so can use the surround sound system in the family room. Eventually want to go wireless to the receiver, way down on my wish list.