upgrade 2000 > XP to recover a corrupted sys

Hi everybody,

to recover a corrupted 2000 system (most probably due to hd failure
compromising some core files) that cannot start anymore and not
wanting to loose all my settings (after I tried all possible recovery,
etc. unsuccesfully inside 2000 sys) I was thinking of upgrading to XP
to solve at once the problem.

The co. I work for has an XP sp.2 corporate edition. What I did was
trying to install from boot disk (the only way possible since win
doesn't boot) but it looks like it cannot reckognise the WINNT folder
as a sys folder and in any case never mention in the install procedure
"upgrading" on the contrary it clearly says "...will cacell all
settings...". Of course I don't want to try that way risking to cancel
for good all my setting and not having any other chance left.

Any suggestion please?

Rgds + tks in advance.

Rik
1 answer Last reply
More about upgrade 2000 recover corrupted
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade (More info?)

    An upgrade is not possible on an operating system that doesn't start.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Rik" wrote:
    | Hi everybody,
    |
    | to recover a corrupted 2000 system (most probably due to hd failure
    | compromising some core files) that cannot start anymore and not
    | wanting to loose all my settings (after I tried all possible recovery,
    | etc. unsuccesfully inside 2000 sys) I was thinking of upgrading to XP
    | to solve at once the problem.
    |
    | The co. I work for has an XP sp.2 corporate edition. What I did was
    | trying to install from boot disk (the only way possible since win
    | doesn't boot) but it looks like it cannot reckognise the WINNT folder
    | as a sys folder and in any case never mention in the install procedure
    | "upgrading" on the contrary it clearly says "...will cacell all
    | settings...". Of course I don't want to try that way risking to cancel
    | for good all my setting and not having any other chance left.
    |
    | Any suggestion please?
    |
    | Rgds + tks in advance.
    |
    | Rik

Windows XP Windows