I really don not understand the Sprint/Nextel merger

Last response: in Network Providers
December 26, 2004 2:34:25 AM

I really do not understand the sprint/nextel Merger.
1)The Nextel iden network will have to be kept inplace with the same
high level
2)Sprint CDMA networks push to talk does not work as well as IDEN,
so that network cannot be used immediately.
3)Sprints customer service is definately Not as good as Nextels, and
if Sprint dinks with this, they could loose customers quicker than
the blink of an eye.
A T-Mobile/Nextel merger would have made a lot more sense.

In the end, I beleive this is a bad merger, and will not end in sucess.

IMHO
Chip
Anonymous
December 26, 2004 7:51:12 AM

In <10ssfr1lljuafc3@corp.supernews.com> on Sat, 25 Dec 2004 23:34:25 -0500,
Ralph Blach <rblach@NOSPAMintrex..XXXnet> wrote:

>I really do not understand the sprint/nextel Merger.
>1)The Nextel iden network will have to be kept inplace with the same
> high level

In the short term, but I expect aggressive migration to CDMA2000 over the next
couple of years.

>2)Sprint CDMA networks push to talk does not work as well as IDEN,
> so that network cannot be used immediately.

I expect that to be fixed.

>3)Sprints customer service is definately Not as good as Nextels, and
> if Sprint dinks with this, they could loose customers quicker than
> the blink of an eye.

Perhaps, but Nextel might instead infect SprintPCS.

>A T-Mobile/Nextel merger would have made a lot more sense.

Reportedly Nextel had already made the decision to migrate to CDMA2000, making
Sprint a much better technical fit than T-Mobile. Another issue is the parent
of T-Mobile.

>In the end, I beleive this is a bad merger, and will not end in sucess.

I believe it will be difficult, but that it's probably the right thing for
both Nextel and Sprint, and will ultimately succeed.

December 26, 2004 1:54:37 PM

In article <10ssfr1lljuafc3@corp.supernews.com>,
Ralph Blach <rblach@NOSPAMintrex..XXXnet> wrote:

> I really do not understand the sprint/nextel Merger.

Then try posting to the Sprint and Nextel newsgroups.
December 26, 2004 1:54:38 PM

> In article <10ssfr1lljuafc3@corp.supernews.com>,
> Ralph Blach <rblach@NOSPAMintrex..XXXnet> wrote:
>
> > I really do not understand the sprint/nextel Merger.
>

> Then try posting to the Sprint and Nextel newsgroups.

When did you become the holder of all things proper? Your comment would be
like telling you to try to use facts when you post.
December 26, 2004 2:33:37 PM

On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 23:34:25 -0500, Ralph Blach
<rblach@NOSPAMintrex..XXXnet> wrote:

>I really do not understand the sprint/nextel Merger.
>1)The Nextel iden network will have to be kept inplace with the same
> high level

The intention is to eventually dump the iDen network in favour of a
CDMA network. Nextel has hit a brick wall as far as how they can
adopt a high-speed data option. It's just not feasible with iDen.

>2)Sprint CDMA networks push to talk does not work as well as IDEN,
> so that network cannot be used immediately.

They are not disassembling the iDen network for the immediate future
so it's likely that the folks who do the grunt work for future use of
networks will no doubt work on a PTT for the CDMA network that will
work as well as the present direct connect feature. Yes, it's true
that the present implementation of PTT on CDMA networks isn't as good
as the PTT implementation on the iDen network. That doesn't mean that
with engineering that it's not possible.

>3)Sprints customer service is definately Not as good as Nextels, and
> if Sprint dinks with this, they could loose customers quicker than
> the blink of an eye.

Well, maybe Sprint PCS can be tought that good customer care is
paramount and they'll put money and resources into getting their
customer care where it needs to be. There's no law that says that
their customer care needs to be bad.

>A T-Mobile/Nextel merger would have made a lot more sense.

How would a T-Mobile/Nextel merger make any more sense than a Sprint
PCS/Nextel merger? They both have completely incompatible
technologies. What would be better about a T-Mobile merger?

>In the end, I beleive this is a bad merger, and will not end in sucess.

In the end it won't matter what you or I think about it. Sprint PCS
and Nextel have made their decision and we'll have to see if they're
successful or not. Their main concern should be to not piss off their
subscribers. cingular's doing a grand job of doing that with the AT&T
Wireless customers they're absorbing.

December 26, 2004 11:31:55 PM

In <r34us056it0a5501ln2tfljchkfch2s28c@4ax.com> on Sun, 26 Dec 2004 11:33:37
-0800, Joseph <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 23:34:25 -0500, Ralph Blach
><rblach@NOSPAMintrex..XXXnet> wrote:

>>In the end, I beleive this is a bad merger, and will not end in sucess.
>
>In the end it won't matter what you or I think about it. Sprint PCS
>and Nextel have made their decision and we'll have to see if they're
>successful or not. Their main concern should be to not piss off their
>subscribers. cingular's doing a grand job of doing that with the AT&T
>Wireless customers they're absorbing.

I see no real evidence of that. In fact, I think it's going remarkably well.