Windows 7 32 versus 64 bit for overclocking

Solution
the architecture of the OS doesn't matter when OCing the CPU
All of the overclocking should be done in the BIOS anyway. So the version of Windows doesn't really matter.
the only time it might, is if your doing software based OCing, which is always a bad idea and not very reliable

arges86

Distinguished
the architecture of the OS doesn't matter when OCing the CPU
All of the overclocking should be done in the BIOS anyway. So the version of Windows doesn't really matter.
the only time it might, is if your doing software based OCing, which is always a bad idea and not very reliable

Solution

+1. Exactly what I was going to say.

jbl91

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
So when the article states that 32 bit will overclock 200MHz higher, they are only talking about overclocking using something like AMD Overdrive? I think that's what you're saying... If I use AMD OD to test the OC and then actually make the changes in the BIOS, there will be no difference between the two OSes?
http://www.extremeoverclocking.com/reviews/processors/AMD_Phenom_II_X4_965_7.html

Thank you for your responses!

True overclocking is operating system independent (by true overclocking, I mean overclocking from directly within the BIOS). The reason for the difference in x64 and x86 environments' stability is not explained in the article, it is merely mentioned - almost as a footnote. There is a laundry list of potential variables contributing to the difference in stable overclock. The fact that the article did not elaborate on this difference makes me question the validity of their statement.

TRENDING THREADS