Need suggestions on my build

morenu

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2007
Hi all,

I am a reasonably experienced builder (15 - 20 builds over 10 years)

but I have not built a new system for about 2 years now.

I am using this computer mainly for Gaming & Surfing but I do some LIGHT CAD work on it as well. I have the following items already:

250 GB SATA HD
320 GB IDE HD
Plextor DVD burner IDE
DVD player IDE
2 LCD Panels - one w/ DVI hook-up
Keyboard/mouse/speakers
Win XP pro + MS Office.

What I believe I need (I can spend a Max of $1400 out of pocket after shipping so need to keep it near $1350. Several things in the list below have Mail in rebates to the tune of about $180, that does not change my $1350. I am not a big fan of MiR, would rather get half the rebate automatically instead of having to send in for more $.)-

I have done a lot of research and have a system built at Newegg and made the wishlist public. just search Morenu or use this link (will place as soon as Newegg posts it), or use the links below:

Specs:
Cool Master ATX Mid tower Case
Would love a sturdy case that could travel OK (walk to my neighbor's house) but still handle 2 opticle and 2 HDD minimum.

OCZ 700W Power Supply
Not sure if OCZ is considered a good PSU company or not. I assume that I need at least a 700W for Dual video, 2-4 hard drives and 2 or so USB items...

ECS KN3 SLI2 Motherboard (runs SLI in 16x 16x mode)
Cheapest Motherboard I could find that had the nforce 590 chipset (for 2x 16x PCiE pipes) that also had good feedback.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400+
I assume it was better to spend $100 more for my video card from 320mb 8800 to a 640mb OC'd card then to up this to 5600+.

OCZ silver CPU thermal compound
Its Thermal paste...

Cool Master CPU cooler
Better than the stock fan... Not looking to OC a ton if at all. would like the option to a little bit if I feel like it.

EVGA 8800GTS 640mb superclocked
EVGA has Lifetime warranty, this GPU was OC'd to 576 core speed, best I could find in my $ range

Patriot 2x1GB Dual Channel ddr2 800 RAM
This is one place I could probably do better. big Mail in rebate, but If I could find equal ram for $20 - $30 less upfront I would do it.

Trend Micro PC-Cillin Virus scan (3 user - Free after rebate, good scanner)
This is the scanner I use anyway, I need 2 copies, its free... no brainer.

Ergotron Table mounted LCD arm (22" distance)
Best one I could find on Newegg in this price range. Table mounting and at least a 20" range a must. 19" LCD panel being mounted.

Any comments good and bad would be wonderful. I trust Newegg, but also have used Mwave. If you know a trusted place with something better, thats fine.

I DO plan to get a second video card and more RAM in the future (say 8 - 12 months). I do not plan to Over clock much, but I might tweak a little.

jeff_2087

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2007
If you're overclocking you could do better with an Intel setup, but if you're running at stock speeds that's a good CPU.

OCZ makes pretty decent power supplies I think, 700W is more than enough for a single card and two 8800GTSes. I'd be unsure about popping GTXes in there, but GTS is fine.

Speaking of which, do you mean to get two GTSes right now? Because a single GTX is probably a better plan than two GTSes. But if you're just leaving the option open for later on, GTS is a good plan.

As for the RAM, G.Skill has some cheaper DDR2 800 I think.

morenu

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2007
Thanks for the reply. first off, I Am only buying 1 video card right now, but will buy a second in about 8 - 10 months (plus some additional RAM at that time).

I am working on an Intel build right now, I had started there whan my budget was more like $900 and found that the AMD route seemed better. with my current budget I am looking at Intel again.

I was told that the Core2 duo chips were not as good with gaming as they are with multitasking, and so I could get close to equivalent gaming power for less money from my CPU.

any and all suggestions / tweaks that can keep me within budget are welcome.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
It's better for you to go for a Core 2 setup and get the 8800GTS 320Mb, at 1280x1024 resolution or lower it has little difference to the 640Mb version. Check our Vr-zone for the reviews on the 8800GTS 320Mb.

oc

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2004
Take the 650i SLI mbo, 8800 gts 320 mb and a core 2 duo(i would take 4300 and set it on 3.0ghz, that would save you some money).

jeff_2087

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2007
OMG yeah I completely disregarded your board, definitely take a 6 series nForce over the 5. 5 series for Intel weren't great, couldn't overclock very well. For SLi get a Asus P5N-E SLi, the Plus version if you can afford it, or even an EVGA 680i.

Although, SLi isn't that great really, usually it's best to just get a single card and replace it when it gets obsolete. But it can't hurt to get a SLi board anyway, just to keep the options open.

By the way, whoever told you that is completely wrong, Intel Core 2s are great for gaming. The best there is right now.

morenu

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2007
Thanks some more...

Ok, next question then... should I be concerned (If I would like this computer to last me for 2 - 3 years) with the 8x 8x in SLI mode? IOW, I was told that getting aa board cable of 16x 16x in SLI mode is probably smart, but there are not any current games they knew of that used 16x right now.

morenu

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2007
anyone able to answer the above one?

and..

Is anyone willing to look specifically at the Motherboard, CPU and video combo I list above and show me a better combo on newegg for equal or less using Intel? I am having trouble deciding what is better than what.

Thanks

alcattle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
The PCI-E x16 has little to do with the game, it is how well the Video card works, and having 2 x16 slots is the best there is now. If you are thinking of going that way, it will cost you. But the motherboard will be better in the future. It looks like the 680i series all have 2x PCI-E x16 slot, so look though these.Newegg Nvidia 680i MB

jamiepotter

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2006
It's not a question of games supporting it. It's a question of how much bandwidth the GFX needs. Even on 3dMark06, two 8800GTX don't take that much of a hit, so x16 are still a bit of a pointless 'upgrade'. If you're getting the 8800GTS 320, you will not need x16 slots. The P5N-E Sli is a great board at a great price. Whack in a cheapish core 2 duo (the e4300 is incredible vfm; but if you don't want to OC or want 4mb l2 cache, the e6600 is the way to go, at least until the e6320 and e6420 come out).

There is no point whatsoever spending double on the mobo for an eVGA, unless you're a die-hard overclocker. People will give you lots of bad advice here, I'm afraid.

Just listen to oc: he had it bang on the money.

morenu

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2007
Thanks to all for the opinions and suggestions... I know if I ask for an opinion and get 10 replys I will end up with 8-12 different suggestions.

Its in the overlapps and such that you find the gems.

Anyway, Last question and then I will hopefully be done...

If I am planning to use 2 LCD's (17" and 19") and my max resolution on both screens will be set at 1280x1024 (maybe lower on the older one), and I have $100 that can either get me an upgrade from EVGA 8800 320mb to an 8800 640mb (Both have a core clock of 576mhz)

OR

Spend the $100 to go from a Core 2 Duo 6400+ to a 6600+

which would be better for my games and keeping in mind I can go SLI in 8 months or so and I would like to make this computer keep me happy in games for 2 years if possible.

Oh and should I bother buying a better CPU cooler? I typically do on AMD builds but not always on Intels.

alcattle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
My vote is none of the above. Stick with the picks you made. Then in 6 month to a year, stop and see where your system is at. Put the $100 toward a good game :wink:

jamiepotter

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2006
Alcattle may have the right idea. Now could be a really crappy time to be buying a new system. It might be worth waiting to see what AMD does by May. The R600 is rumoured to be surprisingly good (admittedly by ATI execs!), and then we've got AMD's new chips coming out.

If you're fed up with waiting, I would personally get the e4300 for now, overclock it like hell using a Tuniq 120 cooler or the Thermalright Ultra 120, get a 8800gtx and not bother with sli now or in 8 months' time. But then, I wouldn't be buying anything until ATI shows us what it can do.