Can I upgrade MK-36?

Raeven_Zero

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
Just bought a new laptop that was pretty much everything I wanted but it didn't have a dual core processor. I was wondering if I could change it over to a dual core? I can't find any literature on the computer stating what socket it uses. CPU-Z says that it uses AM2 but I didn't know that they used it for mobile processors as well.

My machine is an HP dv6215us and I would like to get a Turion X2.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...us&dlc=en&submit.y=0&submit.x=0&lang=en&cc=us

Would it be worth it? I already put 2 gigs of RAM in it and I will mainly use it for games and movies while traveling and a little video converting when at home. I have a couple of desktop machines that do the real work and gaming.

The MK-36 is a socket S1 (not AM2) single-core chip. The Turion X2s are also socket S1 chips. The X2s will physically work, but I'd call HP to see if the BIOS will recognize the X2. If it does, then you're in luck.

Raeven_Zero

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
That's what I figured. Most of the Turions I found were S1 and I found it very odd that CPU-Z told me AM2. When all else fails, why not ask? Thanks for the quick answer!

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Just bought a new laptop that was pretty much everything I wanted but it didn't have a dual core processor. I was wondering if I could change it over to a dual core? I can't find any literature on the computer stating what socket it uses. CPU-Z says that it uses AM2 but I didn't know that they used it for mobile processors as well.

My machine is an HP dv6215us and I would like to get a Turion X2.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...us&dlc=en&submit.y=0&submit.x=0&lang=en&cc=us

Would it be worth it? I already put 2 gigs of RAM in it and I will mainly use it for games and movies while traveling and a little video converting when at home. I have a couple of desktop machines that do the real work and gaming.

Doubtful. Most CPUs are soldered in. I beleive there are a few that can be but it depends on the manuf.

My HP is not upgradeable, so yours probably isn't either. Only recently have you even been able to upgrade the GPU. Only the HDD and RAM.

Raeven_Zero

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
I just talked to HP and they said I can go up to the TL56 with it. I think I am going to go with the TL52 and OC it a little with Ntune and underclock it when running on battery.

My last HP notebook was also upgradeable. I never did upgrade it but it was in the desert with me and I took it completely apart every month and cleaned everything with canned air an alcohol. It was an Athlon XP-M 3000+. It was ridiculously hard to separate the heatsinks/heatpipes from it the first time I cleaned it though. It ended up coming out of the socket but without damage. I gave that one to my grandma for xmas. Wanted something a little better on the battery.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
I just talked to HP and they said I can go up to the TL56 with it. I think I am going to go with the TL52 and OC it a little with Ntune and underclock it when running on battery.

My last HP notebook was also upgradeable. I never did upgrade it but it was in the desert with me and I took it completely apart every month and cleaned everything with canned air an alcohol. It was an Athlon XP-M 3000+. It was ridiculously hard to separate the heatsinks/heatpipes from it the first time I cleaned it though. It ended up coming out of the socket but without damage. I gave that one to my grandma for xmas. Wanted something a little better on the battery.

Wow, maybe I should have gotten that one. Mne is actually a Compaq and won't allow upgrading the CPU. At least the dealer said it doesn't. God luck, though. The TL60 speed (2GHz) is killer.