Problems with Samsung SIR-T165 HDTV Set Top Tuner

Last response: in Home Theatre
a b Ô Samsung
September 28, 2004 5:32:42 PM

I have a Samsung SIR-T165 HDTV Tuner that has a weird and
very annoying quirk. If I let it auto program in the
channels I get six Channel 4's (Analog Channel 4, WUNC in
Chapel Hill, NC, plus 5 digital channels see
http://www.unctv.org/unctvdtv/statusreport/index.html). I
have no problem tuning in 4-0 or 4-1. However, if I tune to
4-2 (sometimes), 4-3 (sometimes), or 4-4 (usually), or 4-5
(always), not only can't I receive the channel, I can't do
anything at all. I can't change the channel, I can't call up
the menu, nothing, nada, zip. The box is totally hung up.
The green signal acquired light is on, I usually get a
message that says "digital sound" (or something similar).
Powering the unit off doesn't help in the short run.
However, if I power the box off and wait long enough (more
than 30 minutes), I can usually change the channel
immediately. Seems like it has to be some sort of
programming bug but I am no expert. Channel 4 is the only
channel with this problem.

Has anyone else seen a problem like this? Any suggestions? I
emailed Samsung, but they said to call Customer Service,
which I will do. However, I'd like to have some idea of what
the problem is before talking to Customer Service. I'd like
to avoid multiple trips through the phone maze.

Regards,

Ed White
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
September 28, 2004 9:42:55 PM

I think I've seen the same problem that you are seeing. My local PBS
broadcasts on 9- through 9-5. During the day they only use 9-2 through 9-5
(SD content on all) and after 8PM they have HD on 9-1 and SD on 9-2. The
others are then off the air. My SIR-T165 appear to hang if I flip to say
9-3 when they are not broadcasting (after 8 PM). However, If I hit the
channel down it will eventually change after a minute or 2. I just have to
avoid those problem channels. I've also seen one channel that would come up
with the DIGITAL SOUND banner but no picture. Tweaking the antenna fixed
that particular one.

Cheers,
Jeff Kingsley

"C. E. White" <cewhite3@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>I have a Samsung SIR-T165 HDTV Tuner that has a weird and
> very annoying quirk. If I let it auto program in the
> channels I get six Channel 4's (Analog Channel 4, WUNC in
> Chapel Hill, NC, plus 5 digital channels see
> http://www.unctv.org/unctvdtv/statusreport/index.html). I
> have no problem tuning in 4-0 or 4-1. However, if I tune to
> 4-2 (sometimes), 4-3 (sometimes), or 4-4 (usually), or 4-5
> (always), not only can't I receive the channel, I can't do
> anything at all. I can't change the channel, I can't call up
> the menu, nothing, nada, zip. The box is totally hung up.
> The green signal acquired light is on, I usually get a
> message that says "digital sound" (or something similar).
> Powering the unit off doesn't help in the short run.
> However, if I power the box off and wait long enough (more
> than 30 minutes), I can usually change the channel
> immediately. Seems like it has to be some sort of
> programming bug but I am no expert. Channel 4 is the only
> channel with this problem.
>
> Has anyone else seen a problem like this? Any suggestions? I
> emailed Samsung, but they said to call Customer Service,
> which I will do. However, I'd like to have some idea of what
> the problem is before talking to Customer Service. I'd like
> to avoid multiple trips through the phone maze.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ed White
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
October 3, 2004 7:44:52 PM

I don't have a Samsung SIR-T165 but I'm willing to bet that the problem your
experiencing is related to a timeout period that must complete before it
returns control back to the console. This is similar to what happens when
while using your web browser you request a URL that no longer exist or your
internet connection is down. You then have to wait for the attempt to
timeout and return control to the keyboard.

"Jeff Kingsley" <jkingsley4@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I think I've seen the same problem that you are seeing. My local PBS
> broadcasts on 9- through 9-5. During the day they only use 9-2 through 9-5
> (SD content on all) and after 8PM they have HD on 9-1 and SD on 9-2. The
> others are then off the air. My SIR-T165 appear to hang if I flip to say
> 9-3 when they are not broadcasting (after 8 PM). However, If I hit the
> channel down it will eventually change after a minute or 2. I just have to
> avoid those problem channels. I've also seen one channel that would come
up
> with the DIGITAL SOUND banner but no picture. Tweaking the antenna fixed
> that particular one.
>
> Cheers,
> Jeff Kingsley
>

> "C. E. White" <cewhite3@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> >I have a Samsung SIR-T165 HDTV Tuner that has a weird and
> > very annoying quirk. If I let it auto program in the
> > channels I get six Channel 4's (Analog Channel 4, WUNC in
> > Chapel Hill, NC, plus 5 digital channels see
> > http://www.unctv.org/unctvdtv/statusreport/index.html). I
> > have no problem tuning in 4-0 or 4-1. However, if I tune to
> > 4-2 (sometimes), 4-3 (sometimes), or 4-4 (usually), or 4-5
> > (always), not only can't I receive the channel, I can't do
> > anything at all. I can't change the channel, I can't call up
> > the menu, nothing, nada, zip. The box is totally hung up.
> > The green signal acquired light is on, I usually get a
> > message that says "digital sound" (or something similar).
> > Powering the unit off doesn't help in the short run.
> > However, if I power the box off and wait long enough (more
> > than 30 minutes), I can usually change the channel
> > immediately. Seems like it has to be some sort of
> > programming bug but I am no expert. Channel 4 is the only
> > channel with this problem.
> >
> > Has anyone else seen a problem like this? Any suggestions? I
> > emailed Samsung, but they said to call Customer Service,
> > which I will do. However, I'd like to have some idea of what
> > the problem is before talking to Customer Service. I'd like
> > to avoid multiple trips through the phone maze.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Ed White

a b Ô Samsung
October 4, 2004 5:40:39 PM

All,

I just purchased a Samsung SIR-T165 and am having an issue...

Initially, the SIR Firewire ports to my two JVC DVHS decks seemed to detect
both decks
when off, and I was able to turn the decks on/off. Now, the decks only show
up in the
Firewire list when on, as soon as I turn them off they disappear.

Is this normal for the SIR-T165 ? I can't timer record off the SIR.

Also, is there a way to check the firmware version ? And is there a way to
upgrade it ? And is there a way to do daily or weekly timer recordings ?

Any help would be appreciated...

Steve
swarnek@optonline.net

"Patrick Shugrue" <shugrue@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I don't have a Samsung SIR-T165 but I'm willing to bet that the problem
your
> experiencing is related to a timeout period that must complete before it
> returns control back to the console. This is similar to what happens when
> while using your web browser you request a URL that no longer exist or
your
> internet connection is down. You then have to wait for the attempt to
> timeout and return control to the keyboard.
>

> "Jeff Kingsley" <jkingsley4@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > I think I've seen the same problem that you are seeing. My local PBS
> > broadcasts on 9- through 9-5. During the day they only use 9-2 through
9-5
> > (SD content on all) and after 8PM they have HD on 9-1 and SD on 9-2. The
> > others are then off the air. My SIR-T165 appear to hang if I flip to
say
> > 9-3 when they are not broadcasting (after 8 PM). However, If I hit the
> > channel down it will eventually change after a minute or 2. I just have
> > avoid those problem channels. I've also seen one channel that would come
> up
> > with the DIGITAL SOUND banner but no picture. Tweaking the antenna fixed
> > that particular one.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Jeff Kingsley
> >

> > "C. E. White" <cewhite3@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> > >I have a Samsung SIR-T165 HDTV Tuner that has a weird and
> > > very annoying quirk. If I let it auto program in the
> > > channels I get six Channel 4's (Analog Channel 4, WUNC in
> > > Chapel Hill, NC, plus 5 digital channels see
> > > http://www.unctv.org/unctvdtv/statusreport/index.html). I
> > > have no problem tuning in 4-0 or 4-1. However, if I tune to
> > > 4-2 (sometimes), 4-3 (sometimes), or 4-4 (usually), or 4-5
> > > (always), not only can't I receive the channel, I can't do
> > > anything at all. I can't change the channel, I can't call up
> > > the menu, nothing, nada, zip. The box is totally hung up.
> > > The green signal acquired light is on, I usually get a
> > > message that says "digital sound" (or something similar).
> > > Powering the unit off doesn't help in the short run.
> > > However, if I power the box off and wait long enough (more
> > > than 30 minutes), I can usually change the channel
> > > immediately. Seems like it has to be some sort of
> > > programming bug but I am no expert. Channel 4 is the only
> > > channel with this problem.
> > >
> > > Has anyone else seen a problem like this? Any suggestions? I
> > > emailed Samsung, but they said to call Customer Service,
> > > which I will do. However, I'd like to have some idea of what
> > > the problem is before talking to Customer Service. I'd like
> > > to avoid multiple trips through the phone maze.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Ed White

Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
October 4, 2004 5:40:40 PM

"Optimum Online" <swarnek@optonline.net> wrote in message news:<rpc8d.6514$g%5.1414390@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>...
> All,
>
> I just purchased a Samsung SIR-T165 and am having an issue...
>
> Initially, the SIR Firewire ports to my two JVC DVHS decks seemed to detect
> both decks
> when off, and I was able to turn the decks on/off. Now, the decks only show
> up in the
> Firewire list when on, as soon as I turn them off they disappear.
>
> Is this normal for the SIR-T165 ? I can't timer record off the SIR.
>
> Also, is there a way to check the firmware version ? And is there a way to
> upgrade it ? And is there a way to do daily or weekly timer recordings ?
>
> Any help would be appreciated...
>
> Steve
> swarnek@optonline.net

To check the firmware version:

Menu>Preference>Help>On. While you have the Help on selected On will
be red and then hit info. The number to left of a series of numbers
just below help will indicate firmware version. Mine shows
S_TIR053_134 which I believe is the most current, other versions
earlier than 134 are 125, 124 and I believe 112. The avsforums
Hardware Section has a lengthy thread on the firmware for this quirky
STB.

Chris
!