Software compatibility with hyperthreading P4s

March 31, 2005 3:56:32 PM

Twice now, since getting my new computer, which has a hyperthreading
P4, there have been 'mysterious' failures of software (one by Corel
WordPerfect and one in a much less well-known application) which ran
happily on my former P3.

I can't think of an obviously appropriate newsgroup to ask this
question but as the workaround for one of the above-mentioned problems
was a mod to the way a software file was registered by XP, it might be
acceptable to ask it here.

The question: is there some central resource which identifies which
major software applications have problems with hyperthreading - and
what fixes are known?
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 3:56:33 PM

I seriously doubt that hyperthreading is the problem....it just enables 1
chip to 'act' as 2 chips thereby speeding up processes.

"John" wrote:

> Twice now, since getting my new computer, which has a hyperthreading
> P4, there have been 'mysterious' failures of software (one by Corel
> WordPerfect and one in a much less well-known application) which ran
> happily on my former P3.
>
> I can't think of an obviously appropriate newsgroup to ask this
> question but as the workaround for one of the above-mentioned problems
> was a mod to the way a software file was registered by XP, it might be
> acceptable to ask it here.
>
> The question: is there some central resource which identifies which
> major software applications have problems with hyperthreading - and
> what fixes are known?

Anonymous
March 31, 2005 3:56:33 PM

Another person had problems with Corel. They were told to visit this site.
Apparently others have also had hangups with Corel & XP, but may have found a
fix. Good luck!
http://support.corel.com/scripts/rightnow.cfg/php.exe/e...
"John" wrote:

> Twice now, since getting my new computer, which has a hyperthreading
> P4, there have been 'mysterious' failures of software (one by Corel
> WordPerfect and one in a much less well-known application) which ran
> happily on my former P3.
>
> I can't think of an obviously appropriate newsgroup to ask this
> question but as the workaround for one of the above-mentioned problems
> was a mod to the way a software file was registered by XP, it might be
> acceptable to ask it here.
>
> The question: is there some central resource which identifies which
> major software applications have problems with hyperthreading - and
> what fixes are known?

Anonymous
March 31, 2005 3:56:33 PM

"John" <nospam@plusnet.com> wrote in message
> Twice now, since getting my new computer, which has a hyperthreading
> P4, there have been 'mysterious' failures of software (one by Corel
> WordPerfect and one in a much less well-known application) which ran
> happily on my former P3.
>
> I can't think of an obviously appropriate newsgroup to ask this
> question but as the workaround for one of the above-mentioned problems
> was a mod to the way a software file was registered by XP, it might be
> acceptable to ask it here.
>
> The question: is there some central resource which identifies which
> major software applications have problems with hyperthreading - and
> what fixes are known?

No to both. You're at the mercy of the vendor in that regard. Note however
that *most* software is indifferent to whether or not HT or true SMP is
being employed.

--
Walter Clayton
http://www.dts-l.org