Sign in with
Your question

First OC rig... RAM timings question. Please help!

Last response: in Memory
March 22, 2007 3:42:51 PM

This is my first post here and will also be the first OC rig I have ever built. Thanks to everyone for the wealth of information available in these forumz which helped me make my decision on the following hardware:

Core 2 Duo 4300
Gigabyte 965P DS3 (v3.3)
2 x 1GB G.Skill F2-6400PHU2-2GBNR PC2-6400 DDR2 5-5-5-15
Seagate Baracuda 7200.10 320GB 7200rpm SATAII/300
Samsung SH-S182M DVD/CD Burner
Cool Master Hyper TX CPU Fan
Cool Master Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW ATX case

To run the 800Mhz DDRRAM at rated clock speed I will have to increase the FSB to 400Mhz which is double the default of the 4300. From reading about others' experiences, I do not think I will achieve a stable platform with such an increase.

If I increase the FSB to 350Mhz, the RAM will be underclocked. Can I then lower the RAM timings from their rated 5-5-5-15 and will I see a performance increase if i do? Otherwise, perhaps I am better off going for 667Mhz RAM with better rated timings for the same price.

There is always the option of upgrading to the 6300 instead and ruling out the 667Mhz option but I am also unsure of the difference this will make to overclockability.

Suggestions from any of you experts out there as to what my best course of action might be would be greatly appreciated as I have already ordered the parts and am now having second thoughts!

Any opinions about the other components would also be most welcome.

Thanks
March 22, 2007 4:28:57 PM

Quote:
...If I increase the FSB to 350Mhz, the RAM will be underclocked. Can I then lower the RAM timings from their rated 5-5-5-15

Sure, but there is a chance it won't work stably, even with a boosted memory voltage -- hence, the "adventure" of overclocking!
Quote:
...and will I see a performance increase if i do?

Yes, but it will be fairly small. See this article for data: http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&number=1&ar...
March 22, 2007 6:19:50 PM

Firstly, running at 400FSB with stock multipliers would mean ur e4300 is running at 3.6ghz, which you may or may not be able to hit. I'd give my 5cents worth of advice here.

If you're trying for a maximum overclock:
Do it one at a time. Underrun ur memory and push the processor to the limit, then do the reverse.
If you're adventurous, you might wanna explore the maximum FSB by dropping the multiplier too.
This ensures you have an idea of the limitations of each and won't be fumbling around wondering why the system won't post.
Tighten memory timings after you've decided on your desired ratios

On the other hand if you're just interested in some additional speed and don't want to risk killing your hardware
Here's somemore guidelines:

Fairly Safe Region -
Keep Vcore at 1.4V or below
Keep Memory at 2.1V and below

Of course, the e4300 is easily overclocked without necessitating an increase in your Vcore; additional voltages tend to lower the processor's lifespan.
Also, don't worry too much about not running the RAMs at the rated speeds, just bump the voltage a lil and settle for something between 800-900mhz. G.Skill rams are pretty good afterall.

Lastly, the 4300 is way better than the 6300 in terms of overclockability cuz of its x9 multiplier, which makes it easier to hit higher cpu clock rates.

Also, memory overclocking hardly makes much of a difference other than on synthetic benchmarks

I usually go for memory quantity over quality(though i won't take anything lower than ddr667)
!