Domain rename

All,
I am upgrading two windows 2000 domain controllers to windows 2003. One of
these servers run Exchange 2000, which will also be upgraded to Exchange
2003. The problem I see prior to this is that my client has a single level
domain name. I would like to change this to a FQDN during the upgrade
process. I have downloaded the domain rename tool, however it says it should
not be used on any domain controller running Exchange.

What is the proper way to upgrade these servers, also allowing me to rename
the domain to which they log on to?

Thanks for any and all replies!
Patrick