Sign in with
Your question

Intel planning server-chip price cuts: 30-50%

Last response: in CPUs
March 22, 2007 4:10:42 PM

There might be a possibility that intel already knows how barci will perform... Thus the cuts. :?
March 22, 2007 4:54:34 PM

good stuf, lower price when I upgrade my PC....
Related resources
March 22, 2007 5:09:02 PM

Intel is really the company that is going down!! they are trying to take AMD with them DAMN BASTARDS!
March 22, 2007 5:11:15 PM

I like lower prices... but after reading that, this comment does bother me:

Quote:
"We think these price cuts are worse for AMD as these cuts likely mute the Barcelona launch . . . likely ensuring that Intel maintains recent share gains," wrote analyst Chris Caso, who has a buy rating on Intel shares. At the same time, Intel's price cuts will delay any further improvement to the chip giant's gross profit margin, which has suffered due to increased competition from AMD.

Well... a company has to do what it has ta, I guess.
March 22, 2007 5:21:58 PM

Quote:
Intel is really the company that is going down!! they are trying to take AMD with them DAMN BASTARDS!

Yes, eventually all the chip makers will shut down and all my years of abacus training will finally come in handy.
March 22, 2007 5:42:44 PM

Actually this makes a lot of sense.

I dont think Intel really has a choice other than to cut prices on their server processors as the FB-Dimm memory is still too expensive. Usually $30-$40 more for equivalent DDR2 memory for the Opteron. The current Opteron platform still scales nicely compared to Xeons and has a better cost ratio.

In all likely hood Intel will probably have to make additional cuts when Barcelona comes out to stay competitive. Basically doing the same as AMD is currently doing in the desktop market.

In any means, servers are a completely different animal than desktops. Most IT people buy servers when they need them, not on pricing fluctuations. And usually the lowest overall cost that meets your platform requirements wins.
March 22, 2007 7:10:35 PM

Intel propably has already reduced Clovertown production so that they dont stockpile after their 45nm parts are launched.
They also might be re-thinking their pricing in order to introduce more speed bins.

Theres like a bazillion reasons :lol: 
March 22, 2007 7:34:47 PM

Quote:
It's definitely INTERVENTION time. They have lost their minds.

You saying AMD is mad?

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20030526042244...

Consumers love it when companies lose their minds 8)

I like the last line....

Quote:
The price war may eventually lead to lowering revenues and eroding gross-margins of both companies. I wonder how long this may last?
March 22, 2007 8:18:31 PM

Quote:
Yes your visits to the shrink are not paying off

They are for the shrink :D 
March 22, 2007 9:44:04 PM

Quote:
Yes your visits to the shrink are not paying off

They are for the shrink :D 

:lol: 
March 22, 2007 10:07:57 PM

apple better make the same cut or dell and other will have better hardware at the same price.
March 23, 2007 2:05:26 AM

I think intel isn't going to have the upgrade path that AMD rants and raves about itself...I mean we should be able to use AM3 chips in plain vanilla AM2 boards...of course without all the benefits...

k10 will eat way less power than clovertown...being able to underclock the cores individualy...
March 23, 2007 2:13:27 AM

Quote:
I think intel isn't going to have the upgrade path that AMD rants and raves about itself...I mean we should be able to use AM3 chips in plain vanilla AM2 boards...of course without all the benefits...

k10 will eat way less power than clovertown...being able to underclock the cores individualy...

That sure is a boring marketing conundrum. I like to think of my CPU as operating cool and quiet at max loads, and I do not want to add 4 cores just to boast how efficiently they can reduce power to 3 of my CPU's appearing to draw considerably less current than a 4x4 system!?!
!