Setting up a router with the connection from another router

Goatbuster3000

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
Hello, I'm new to the forumz. I need a little help. I'm in the process of setting up my Linksys(yeah I know) router and my friend has told me not to use the setup cd, ut rather come here to ask for help. I have two computers: one that is connected to the modem and sends the connection through one router to my second computer. I want to be able to take that connection and use a router in order to allow my computer and game system to both be able to be connected to the internet. I need some help setting it up, though. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

CmdPT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
Why not just plug in both computers to the router and also plug in the modem (cable/dsl) to the router. Makes it alot more easier.

Distraction

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Why not just plug in both computers to the router and also plug in the modem (cable/dsl) to the router. Makes it alot more easier.

There may not be enough ports open on the first router, or he may only have one cable long enough to go from the first router to the second.

I had a problem like this too, but I forget the solution. There was some simple way to solve it, disabling some option in the router's configuration and plugging the cable from the first router into a non-uplink port on the second. I'll look into it.

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
if this is your setup

modem-> pc1->router1->pc2

you need modem->router1 to pc1 & pc2

Or connect the second router to the 1st. To do so you need to disable DHCP & FW in the second router. Then connect them through the LAN ports.