Case Mod Tools

COLLINS311

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
Hello,

Maybe this is a dumb question...I don't know. I've never made any changes to a case before and don't really own any tools. I basically need to create some holes for tubing and to attach a radiator to the outside of my aluminum/steel case. I know obviously a drill and hole saw. I am looking for more specific info, brand, model, price, personal experience, etc. I want something quality obviously, but don't want to spend alot of money since I doubt I'll be using this thing that often. And I don't want to get something that is a peice of crap and breaks on me. I know Dremel's are good, but there are a ton of those.

Please, all suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks!

I have the older model similiar to this, 10+ years old and performs like new. None of that overpriced cordless/battery crap.

028875101066_3.jpg

DeWalt D21008K 3/8 In. Heavy-Duty VSR Drill Kit with Keyless Chuck $64

For the hole saw, I use rigid brand they are decent at cutting through metal

035781019477_3.jpg

RIDGID #4517039, 6 Piece Bi-Metal Hole Saw Set $40

COLLINS311

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
Awesome doolittle! Quality products with someone's experience use to back it up. Thanks again for the help. A drill always comes in handy anyways might as well get a good one!

Thanks!

merc14

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
My full kit includes the following:
1. Portable drill
2. Stepped hole cutting drill bit. Absolutely essential for cutting clean holes in metal for fan screws, tubing etc. It looks like a cone with steps that correspond to various hole sizes.
3. Dremel. Don't get fancy just need the regular model and some composite cutting wheels.
4. Jig saw with metal cutting blade (20tpi)
5. Sandpaper and small sanding block
6. Bastard file and rat tail file.
7. Masking tape. The big kind for covering delicate metal
8. Automoble trim molding. Cheap and available at auo parts dealers everywhere. Snaps on over your cut metal.
9. Sharpie and square for drawing straight lines.