System brought to its knees!

bigh

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
I just bought a copy of Titan Quest and was not expecting problems but it stutters and even stopped for a second in one place. At other times it is slow to react to the mouse - I think a sure sign that the graphics card is not coping. I have to play it without AA and details set to medium

My system is:

E6600, 2GB Corsair RAM, ATI X1800XT 256MB

So my questions -

Is it definitely the graphics card?
What do I have to buy to play this with max settings at 1280 X 1024?

Thanks for any help.

McPhisto

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
Have you updated the game with the latest patch?
It's possible an update may fix your problem (presuming you haven't already tried this)

Here's the official site FAQ

http://info2.thq.com/faq/

and patches for Titan Quest, here..

http://info2.thq.com/support/

bigh

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
2ECD5F20D8AB11DB882C0947520D21D6.jpg

rochin

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2006
I just bought a copy of Titan Quest and was not expecting problems but it stutters and even stopped for a second in one place. At other times it is slow to react to the mouse - I think a sure sign that the graphics card is not coping. I have to play it without AA and details set to medium

My system is:

E6600, 2GB Corsair RAM, ATI X1800XT 256MB

So my questions -

Is it definitely the graphics card?
What do I have to buy to play this with max settings at 1280 X 1024?

Thanks for any help.

It runs on Max settings just fine on my x850xt at 1280x1024. It does slow down some if i turn up AA or AF, but not to anything unplayable. I hope you get it running Titan Quest is great. If you liked Diablo 2 in anyway, you will love this game. I was big into Diablo 2, this is similar but kicked it up alot. Enjoy.

eRazor

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2007
I've got Titan Quest running perfectly at 1280*1024 (all video settings maxed) on a P4D3.4 with 2GB DDR2 and a 7950GT-512. It stutters on occasion (rarely) when there's a pile going on in LAN play, but that's kind of expected.

If it's the Immortal Throne expansion pack... hell, I don't know... There's rubber-banding, stutter, and horrible framerates throughout the game. In places it's so bad during LAN play that it becomes unplayable. Whatever hacking they had to do to add the new features has ruined what used to be a great game.

bigh

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
OK, after patching things seem to have got a bit better. It still stuttered twice today but from the way it did it, it almost seemed like Windows might have been doing something but I don't know what...

I do notice a slowdown when lots of monsters are on-screen and I am sure that this is the graphics card. It doesn't ruin playability but its not perfect.

Does anyone know if this game benefits from >256Mb graphics memory?

Thanks

slashzapper

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
How much system ram do you have .

That could be the problem . Also see what settings are set on you CCC .

The Catalyst thing :D , :idea: it could be that all your settings are on HIGH quality , reduce those to quality .

bigh

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
I have 2gb ram. CCC is just set to "use application settings" for AA and AF. I had a look at Toms VGA charts and the X1800XT does seem to struggle with this game, NVIDIA cards do much better. However, as i'm an Oblivion player too i'm not going to change yet!

slashzapper

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
This game strains top end systems ;

"For all its slick dynamic lighting and dazzling spell effects, though, Titan Quest can be a bit of a resource hog, demanding a top-of-the-line system to show off all of its eye candy. The visuals scale down well enough, though even when we weren't pushing the upper limits of our hardware, we still noticed pronounced choppiness when the screen was flooded with monsters, or during dusk, when there seems to be a lot of lighting effects at play" Gamespot

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/titanquest/review.html?page=2

You can check it out on that link. So its not your system i would imagine but just bad coding . :evil:

bigh

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
This is my memory:

Newegg Link

I'm running it at 1.8V, with the correct CAS settings ie 4-4-4-12. I will post CPUZ when I get back to my home PC.

I will change the voltage on my processor - thanks for the tip!

Fedor

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007
Adding 0.1V to the RAM shouldn't hurt, but it probably won't fix your problems either. Does the stuttering you mentioned sound like the stuttering and stalling in the reviews or does it sound worse? Cause it comes across as worse to me personally. Do you know what your CPU temperatures are like? Cause it could be a throttling issue if say the heatsink has been badly mounted.

cleeve

Illustrious
Adding 0.1V to the RAM shouldn't hurt, but it probably won't fix your problems either.

Yeah, but that super-low voltage to his CPU might be causing a problem.

How did it get set that low? Were you messing with it, BigH?

If you haven't set the voltage low, your PSU might be dying... or the voltage sensor is kaput.

Fedor

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007
Adding 0.1V to the RAM shouldn't hurt, but it probably won't fix your problems either.

Yeah, but that super-low voltage to his CPU might be causing a problem.

How did it get set that low? Were you messing with it, BigH?

If you haven't set the voltage low, your PSU might be dying... or the voltage sensor is kaput.

Yeah I was only referring to the RAM voltage idea, I'm still waiting to see what he says about the CPU voltage.

bigh

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
I have never touched my BIOS other than to set the latency settings for my RAM. The mobo is a Gigabyte DS4. I have no idea why the CPU voltage is that low - i thought mobos auto detected that type of thing?

I would say that with the latest patch my stuttering is still worse than the review. As I said last night it stopped completely twice for about 0.5sec each time. It is similar to a Windows stutter when you've asked a single core processor to do too much and it has to wait to finish something. Saying that I can detect a stuttering as described by the review as well but only when there is a lot going on.

This is getting weird, i'm glad you guys know what you're doing!

BigH

NamronSllim

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2007
Check for operations in the background like your auto update of antivirus software or something like that. It does not sound like a game problem if it was it might not be intermittent. With the system you have it should run good at about any setting. Is it single or multiplayer? It runs perfect on mine