Need Help with "New Build"

Synovia

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2007
Okay, the last time I built a computer, it was the current model:

T-Bird 1433, 1gb PC150, Geforce2MX (now radeon 9800), etc.

I'm looking to build anew, and I've got a couple stipulations:

1) Cheap
2) Needs upgrade paths. I'd rather spend $75 for a graphics card now, and spend another $75 a year down the road, then spend $150 now, and end up with a card thats inferior to next years's $75 card.
3) Price:performance ratio is king here. I'm not looking for top of the line here. I'm not a hardcore gamer anymore, and generally, tend to play a year or so behind the curve. I'd rather pay $19.99 for a game than $49.99.

At this point, being able to run Eclipse, and a bunch of other things at the same time is more important than gaming performance. I want improved gaming performance though, not that it will be hard to achieve.

Heres what I have so far:

Saveable:
650w PS: I bought this when I put together the original machine. Its a pretty good unit, so I think it'll be fine for this machine. Not sure of model.
DVD-R drive
Samsung 206BW monitor
Case (have a nice one)
firewire card
802.11g wireless card
ethernet card(10/100baseT)
40gb ATA100 (or 133, can't remember) 7200rpm drive.

Junk:
MB: Abit KT7A-Raid
RAM: 2x512mb PC150
most likely junk: radeon 9800 AGP
most likely junk: cheapo soundcard

The soundcard will most likely be moved to onboard sound, as I supposed the ethernet card will be.

I'm looking for a big performance boost here, at cheap money. I'm also looking for maximum upgradeability. I have no problem buying a cheapo graphics card now, as long as I have the option to buy the really nice one now when theres a $99 version out in 2 years.

I've been running AMD for a couple years, but I really couldn't care less at this point.

Budget is probably $500 at the absolute most, but I'd like to keep it cheaper than that if possible.

Synovia

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2007
With a brief search, I was thinking something along these lines:

GIGABYTE GA-965P-S3 MoBo : $105
Pentium D 805 : $70
1GB 800mhz DDR2 : $70

Would something like Chiefmax Radeon X700 :$50 be an upgrade over my 9800 (non pro)

h00kman2o

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2007
i just biult 2 hole computers for 500 each so i know about a budjet biuld i have the ga-965p-s3 motherbord i like it,one of the bord i had to rma but now that bouth are running i like this bord alot i have the e4300 core 2 dou proccessor i love it this thing can do everything the more exspensive ones do if i was you i would wiat till april 22 and get one of the new e4320 this thing is going tio have more cash then the e4300 i would recomend getting a new hard drive, one thats 3 has a 3 gig trasfer rate. If you ever want to overclock this thing its so easy i have mine at 3gig with out a problem only thing i want to add to my system is a new cpu cooler i agree with you on the graphics card the one i got was like 40 bucks it was an open box the both work fine so if you see an open box maybe you might want to get it. dont buy any dual channel ram kits buy your ram for ex. buy 2 1 gig chips i like the gskill pc5300 667 its only 61 dollors a stick. i got every thing for newegg they the best out there for the money

have fun