Who has Experience with ASUS Commando MOBO?

oclockernewbie

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2007
Do any of you have any experience with the ASUS Commando? A review I read (on X-bitlabs??) made it sound like a dream MOBO. But the customer comments on New Egg were not all that good. The board is not a big topic of conversation on the forums, and not many DIY'ers seem to have it, but maybe that is because of the price.

BUFF

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2003
don't have it personally but on the forums that I frequent there seem to be a lot of problems - some are noisy, some kill RAM & some just die.
Imo the abit QuadGT is a better 965 board ( not yet perfect BIOS though) at that level & 1 guy who has both agrees.

herr_kingkong

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2007
Well I guess that both have nice and bad things. I was looking for motherboard so I was checking things carefully lately, and boh of them have both nice and bad things. But honestly if you are looking for something a this level, wouldn't it be a good idea to check more boards? There are many other to choose from. So just sit and bring pen and paper and write down which features you want in a motherboard and what kind of hardware you already have, and of course check a lot of frames to get info from people with experience of the board you want. And don't listen to the company sites because they oly test the boards so much, listen to the real users who've had them for a while. They can really tell you stuff. I hope you find what you're looking for.
Saif

Lyom

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2007
It might seem a bit pricey, and I normally am more budget minded, but I ended up getting this board on a suggestion from another friend and I'm very happy with it.

iviustang50h

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2007
I have the Asus Commando and its a killer mobo. No, it's not perfect, but what mobo is? If you want a mad overclocker, its the board for you, especially after the vdroop mod! Let me know if I can help you in any way. It took some tweaking, but I have my E6600 overclocked very well.

oclockernewbie

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2007
Hey thanks for all the advice so far. I agree it is best to ask the users and not rely on the company site reviews. So far from what I have been seeing, people either love the ASUS Commando or have strong dislikes about it!

Keep your replies coming.

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
look at kodiakice's thread. He seems to have a squealing sound when he shuts down that board and wants to know if anyone else has it. You can talk to him about performance though.

iviustang50h

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2007
Hey thanks for all the advice so far. I agree it is best to ask the users and not rely on the company site reviews. So far from what I have been seeing, people either love the ASUS Commando or have strong dislikes about it!

Keep your replies coming.

I recommend reading this entire 30 some page thread. It's all about the commando, fixes for them and people's experiences with them:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=125865&highlight=commando

kodiakice

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2006
I sent my commando back as the rma had not run out yet.

My opinion on it is like this. I have built prolly 20 systems since i got into computers. I have never ever used any other motherboard except Asus, period. When the striker extreme came out, i purchased it. The bug laiden (in my opinion) 680 chipset drove me crazy. Lockups, bluescreens, you name it. I will not fully blame Asus for my problems with it. I purchased this commando, and while it was very stable while i had it, the transistor noise squeal thing was unacceptable. I contacted Asus and they informed me it was a transistor on the motherboard releasing energy was what i was hearing and it was "normal" for this motherboard. Well, according to other users here, it's not normal. I am sorry but the asus quality control has gone to the dogs. How does something like that get by. Now i would excuse it and chalk it up to me getting a bad board, but when a rep tells me it is normal and that it will be fixed later by a hardware upgrade on future releases? Where does that put current owners like me? Is it not important enough to them to fix it now?

I may get flamed for this and if i do i understand cause i have been an Asus fanboy since i got into this stuff and up to this point i would defend them til the ends of the earth. Point is if you are asking someone who has owned one, i can't say buy an Asus anything til they get the quality control problems solved. Don't just take my word for it, research it a little more. Money is to hard to earn to buy something that is supposed to work properly to have a rep tell me oh that huge annoying sound is normal and don't worry bout it.

When all is said and done, i ordered a different board tonight from a different company. Here's hoping i have a little better luck straying from the only brand i really know.