NT Server 4.0 SP6a to Server 2003

DJ

Hello,

I have 7 Windows NT 4.0 SP 6a servers that I intend to upgrade this year.
Of these seven servers one is my PDC and the other is my BDC. Neither the
PDC or the BDC meets the requirements to run server 2003. I have purchased
new servers that meet the requirements and intend to use these as my new pdc
and bdc. What is the best method to deploy to a new physical pdc and bdc? I
have done research and one of the common methods is to install NT 4.0 server
on the "new pdc" hardware, promote it to the pdc and then upgrade it to
server 2003. I have two concerns. The first is that I may not be able to
get the proper nic and other assorted drivers since NT is no longer
supported. The second question is that I need to keep on-line as much as
possible during this deployment/upgrade. What recommendations does anyone
have to accomplish this? We run 24/7 and any down time is an issue. Any
thoughts, ideas or experiences are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
DJ

"" wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have 7 Windows NT 4.0 SP 6a servers that I intend to upgrade
> this year.
> Of these seven servers one is my PDC and the other is my BDC.
> Neither the
> PDC or the BDC meets the requirements to run server 2003. I
> have purchased
> new servers that meet the requirements and intend to use these
> as my new pdc
> and bdc. What is the best method to deploy to a new physical
> pdc and bdc? I
> have done research and one of the common methods is to install
> NT 4.0 server
> on the "new pdc" hardware, promote it to the pdc and then
> upgrade it to
> server 2003. I have two concerns. The first is that I may
> not be able to
> get the proper nic and other assorted drivers since NT is no
> longer
> supported. The second question is that I need to keep on-line
> as much as
> possible during this deployment/upgrade. What recommendations
> does anyone
> have to accomplish this? We run 24/7 and any down time is an
> issue. Any
> thoughts, ideas or experiences are greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> DJ

To upgrade your domain see the post I posted somewhere else. Read it
and replace or disregard any information that is different for you or
does not apply to you. I should give you an idea how to do it.

Use a desktop as a temporary BDC that you promote to PDC. See also
below

When upgrading the PDC your domain will be available for
authentication, but it will no be available for write action to the
PDC as it is being upgraded

##### MY OLDER POST#####
In your case I would think about the following:

NT4-PDC: NT4DC1
NT4-BDC: NT4DC2
NT4-BDC (extra1): NT4DC3
NT4-BDC (extra2): NT4DC4

* have current and valid backups of all servers!
* install another NT4 BDC (NT4DC3), sync with PDC (NT4DC1) and after
that disconnect from network (as a safety measure) (use can use a
desktop for this)
* install another NT4 BDC (NT4DC4), sync with PDC (NT4DC1) (use can
use a desktop for this).
* promote NT4DC4 to PDC.
* Configure NT4DC4 with NT4Emulator and NeutralizeNT4Emulator registry
key if you already have W2K/WXP/W2K3 clients and/or servers (see
http://www.petri.co.il/first_dc_in_domain_problem.htm and
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=298713)
* Install additional new hardware with W2K3 (as a member server)
W2K3DC1 and W2K3DC2.
* Install and configure DNS/WINS on W2K3DC1 or W2K3DC2 or both
* Configure W2K3DC1 and W2K3DC2 with NT4Emulator and
NeutralizeNT4Emulator registry key if you already have W2K/WXP/W2K3
clients and/or servers (see
http://www.petri.co.il/first_dc_in_domain_problem.htm and
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=298713)
* Upgrade NT4DC4 to W2K3 DC
* DCPROMO W2K3DC1 and W2K3DC2 to DC
* Migrate resources from NT4DC1 and NT4DC2 accordingly to W2K3DC1 and
W2K3DC2
* Transfer GC/FSMO roles to W2K3DC1 and/or W2K3DC2
* demote NT4DC4 using DCPROMO (if DCPROMO fails, kill NT4DC4 and
cleanup its metadata.. see: http://support.microsoft.com/?id=216498
* remove NT4DC1 and NT4DC2 from network and cleanup computer accounts
AFTER its resources have been migrated to W2K3DC1 and W2K3DC2
* cleanup computer account for NT4DC3
* Remove NT4Emulator and NeutralizeNT4Emulator registry keys from
W2K3DC1 and W2K3DC2
* rise the domain functional level and the forest functional level
* rename W2K3DC1 and W2K3DC2 to the computer names of NT4DC1 and
NT4DC2 (see
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windo....d2-47d5-b0ea-989081ce62be.mspx
AND http://support.microsoft.com/?id=316826)

This should help you for your in-place upgrade of the NT4 domain. I
may have missed something so doublecheck!

For E2K3:
* install ADC and connect to AD
* install E2K3 on separate box
* move mailboxes from E55 to E2K3
* Remove E55 (see q-articles on how to do this)

That is what I suggest also! see steps 3, 4, 6, 7, 9, 10

However I use an extra computer so that you will not end with one
upgraded DC and one clean installed DC, but with 1 temporary upgraded
DC (the desktop!) and two clean installed w2k3 DCs. After the 2 new
DCs have been installed and configured on the new hardware you remove
the temporary upgraded DC (the desktop)

This way you still get fresh installed DCs (native w2k3 install) while
you upgraded your nt 4 domain
##### MY OLDER POST#####

Cheers,

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Setup---Deploy---Upgrade-NT-Server-SP6a-Server-2003-ftopict552327.html