W2K SP4 installed - no web access

Hi All,

Since installing SP4 on W2K system, I have no access to internet or email
(Outlook).

I can connect to my ISP ok, but am not able to browse web pages (not found)
and email isn't working - server not found.

Any ideas on how to fix this? (I thought I could uninstall SP4, but there's
no option to in Add/Remove Programs).

HELP PLLLLEEEAAASSSEEE

Steve
3 answers Last reply
More about installed access
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade (More info?)

    Something here may help you.

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/community/columns/IEtopten.mspx

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "steve.g" wrote:
    | Hi All,
    |
    | Since installing SP4 on W2K system, I have no access to internet or email
    | (Outlook).
    |
    | I can connect to my ISP ok, but am not able to browse web pages (not
    found)
    | and email isn't working - server not found.
    |
    | Any ideas on how to fix this? (I thought I could uninstall SP4, but
    there's
    | no option to in Add/Remove Programs).
    |
    | HELP PLLLLEEEAAASSSEEE
    |
    | Steve
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade (More info?)

    Thanks for taking the time to respond Dave......

    I have solved the problem - by uninstalling SP4 from the $NtUninstall..
    directory in Windows ! Pretty drastic I know - but I needed web and mail
    access.

    I won't be re-installing SP4 until I know it is safe to do so. :-(

    Regards,
    Steve

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

    > Something here may help you.
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/community/columns/IEtopten.mspx
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "steve.g" wrote:
    > | Hi All,
    > |
    > | Since installing SP4 on W2K system, I have no access to internet or email
    > | (Outlook).
    > |
    > | I can connect to my ISP ok, but am not able to browse web pages (not
    > found)
    > | and email isn't working - server not found.
    > |
    > | Any ideas on how to fix this? (I thought I could uninstall SP4, but
    > there's
    > | no option to in Add/Remove Programs).
    > |
    > | HELP PLLLLEEEAAASSSEEE
    > |
    > | Steve

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade (More info?)

    Whenever a significant change is to be made, new software installed,
    etc. I make an image of C drive on a large data partition before the
    change. After the change if something is not working properly and it
    cannot seem to be resolved fairly easily I can always restore the image
    and be back completely where I was before. Uninstall is a handy but has
    been know to have problems of its own in the past. I can also keep
    copies of the images so if a change fails later on where a new addition
    that is really needed will not work with something of less importance I
    can still go back before the less important program was added and bring
    things back less that problem item. I also tend to keep all programs on
    a program partition, data on data partition(s), etc. with as little on C
    drive as possible making imaging and restoring much faster. 10 to 30
    minutes most of the time depending on how lean C has been kept.

    Another method, used by some, is to copy C to another part of the drive
    and hide that partition. If the active C fails just unhide the old
    copy, copy it over the damaged copy, and move on down the road. This
    can be faster but you cannot archive older copies if needed later with
    this method.

    James

    steve.g wrote:
    > Thanks for taking the time to respond Dave......
    >
    > I have solved the problem - by uninstalling SP4 from the $NtUninstall..
    > directory in Windows ! Pretty drastic I know - but I needed web and mail
    > access.
    >
    > I won't be re-installing SP4 until I know it is safe to do so. :-(
    >
    > Regards,
    > Steve
    >
    > "Dave Patrick" wrote:
    >

    >>Something here may help you.
    >>
    >>http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/community/columns/IEtopten.mspx
    >>
    >>--
    >>Regards,
    >>
    >>Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    >>Microsoft Certified Professional
    >>Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    >>http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >>
    >>"steve.g" wrote:
    >>| Hi All,
    >>|
    >>| Since installing SP4 on W2K system, I have no access to internet or email
    >>| (Outlook).
    >>|
    >>| I can connect to my ISP ok, but am not able to browse web pages (not
    >>found)
    >>| and email isn't working - server not found.
    >>|
    >>| Any ideas on how to fix this? (I thought I could uninstall SP4, but
    >>there's
    >>| no option to in Add/Remove Programs).
    >>|
    >>| HELP PLLLLEEEAAASSSEEE
    >>|
    >>| Steve

Internet Service Providers Email Windows