Cooling / Fan controller help appreciated

First of all, I'm new to the these forums (and somewhat of a noob) so hey everyone.

After a bit of research i am ready to pull the trigger and order the parts for my first homebuild.

CASE NZXT | LEXA-NP BK/SIL
PSU CORSAIR|CMPSU-620HX
MB EVGA 122-CK-NF68-T1 N680i SLI
CPU INTEL|C2D E6600 2.4G 775 4M
CPU FAN | ZALMAN CNPS 9500 LED
MEM 1Gx2|CORSAIR 240P TWIN2X2048-6400C4
VGA EVGA 768-P2-N831-AR 8800GTX
VGA COOL THERMALRIGHT|HR-03 PLUS
HD 74G|WD RAPTOR 10K 16M SATA WD740ADFD
HD 320G|ST 7K 16M SATA2 ST3320620NS
(2) DVD_BURN SAMSUNG|SH-S183L LS SATA
HDD COOLER VIGOR|HCC-S1BK (BLACK)

My question is in regards to cooling.

I known this case comes with:
(1) 120mm fan in the front (intake)
(1) 120mm fan in the rear (exhaust)
(1) 120mm fan in the side (intake i assume?)
(1) 80mm fan on top (exhaust i assume?)

I am also adding a 92mm fan to the Thermalright heat sink on the video card and there is a fan setup in the HD cooler.

How many of these fans can be plugged directly into this motherboard?

I was considering getting the following fan controller for the case fans:
FrozenCPU Fan Controller

Is there any reason or gain to plugging some case fans directly into the Motherboard? Is the fan controller overkill or will it actually help control the noise / temp of the case?

I appreciate any and all input.
2 answers Last reply
More about cooling controller appreciated
  1. Wow. 3 thumbs up if I had 3. Again.

The bundled case fans can be flipped over to revese the air flow. Take a few minutes for each fan. Ideally, front is intake; left/side is intake (blowing onto hsf; Intel's cpu hsf design that blows onto mobo); rear is exhaust, top blow hole is exhast. Don't forget the psu as exhaust.

I'd suggest you swap the cpu hsf out for a better one:

http://www.hardwarelogic.com/news/62/ARTICLE/1355/6/2007-03-08.html

The 8800 card doesn't need an aftermarket hsf. It has a full-size one. Does the job quite well. It may not be easy to remove. If you're up to it, by all means.

The evga 680i mobo has 7 3-pin fan connectors. The thing is the bundled case fans have 4-pin molex connectors. You'll need 4-to-3-pin adapters to connect them to the mobo. The fan controller has 6 3-pin connectors in the back, & comes with 3 4-pin-molex-to-2-3-pin splitters for up to 6 fans. These splitters won't work with the mobo's connectors.

http://www.techtastic.ca/reviews2/pwm.html

I connect them to a fan controller, if I have one. (I do in my case). I can adjust them on the fly w/o booting into bios. If I connect them to the mobo, I must reboot into bios to adjust fan speeds, if allowed. Most mobos will let you change only the cpu fan speed.
  2. Wow, I never though I'd say this here, but that build is PERFECT. If I had the money, it's exactly what I'd order for myself. Enjoy!

But yeah, go ahead and get a fan controller, it can't hurt and if things get loud when you're not doing heavy gaming you can fix the problem.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems