Upgrading Computer from 95

sharon

I have a computer (1st computer) that is running Windows XP and has a cable
modem and router attached.

I recently purchased a Wireless USB to connect to another (2nd computer) to
access the router.

The problem that I have is I cannot install the software/USB to the 2nd
computer since it is running Windows 95. Keep getting errors saying that I
need Windows 98 or newer versions.

Could anyone recommend the most economical way to solve this problem? I
have been searching for Windows 98 upgrade but is not available anywhere. Do
I need to go to Windows 98 or can I upgrade to a more current version (2000,
NT, XP, ME or something even more recent)?

Best bet is to upgrade - you can't get it to work with Windows 95, so
you have to move on to something that will work with it.

Sharon wrote:
> I have a computer (1st computer) that is running Windows XP and has a cable
> modem and router attached.
>
> I recently purchased a Wireless USB to connect to another (2nd computer) to
> access the router.
>
> The problem that I have is I cannot install the software/USB to the 2nd
> computer since it is running Windows 95. Keep getting errors saying that I
> need Windows 98 or newer versions.
>
> Could anyone recommend the most economical way to solve this problem? I
> have been searching for Windows 98 upgrade but is not available anywhere. Do
> I need to go to Windows 98 or can I upgrade to a more current version (2000,
> NT, XP, ME or something even more recent)?

Except if you're running win95 then the hardware is most likely too old and
under powered. Also be advised that upgrades from win9x almost always fail
for any number of reasons. Save yourself some time and trouble, given that
you'll more than likely end up with an unstable OS with all the remnants/
corruption left behind from the upgrade. Best to blow it all away and go for
the clean install.

To do a clean install, either boot the Windows 2000 CD-Rom or setup disks.
The set of four install disks can be created from your Win2k CD-rom; change
to the \bootdisk directory on the cd-rom and execute makeboot.exe (from dos)
or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the prompts.

During Windows 2000 setup, at some point, will want to confirm the previous
operating system for the upgrade; at that point you'll simply insert the
qualified product install CD for it to verify. Then the install will
proceed.

Check the pc, mb or hardware manufacturer's web site for the latest bios and
or Windows 2000 drivers for your devices.

Be sure to apply these to your new install before connecting to any network.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D2A8-40D0-A0C5-241BFECD095E/W2KSP4_EN.EXE

Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"In Disguise" wrote:
| Best bet is to upgrade - you can't get it to work with Windows 95, so
| you have to move on to something that will work with it.
|

| Sharon wrote:
| > I have a computer (1st computer) that is running Windows XP and has a
cable
| > modem and router attached.
| >
| > I recently purchased a Wireless USB to connect to another (2nd computer)
| > access the router.
| >
| > The problem that I have is I cannot install the software/USB to the 2nd
| > computer since it is running Windows 95. Keep getting errors saying
that I
| > need Windows 98 or newer versions.
| >
| > Could anyone recommend the most economical way to solve this problem?
| > have been searching for Windows 98 upgrade but is not available
anywhere. Do
| > I need to go to Windows 98 or can I upgrade to a more current version
(2000,
| > NT, XP, ME or something even more recent)?

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I realize most Win users out there are sold on all the new toys but if
that old box runs well on 95 just get a network card for about $5 to $10
for each machine and connect the two with a cat5 cable. USB is fine but
it is not the only technology out there and the world ran well before it
arrived. I have 2 95 boxes doing what they did well in there day, 3 98
boxes, 2 win2k, & 3 Linux. All talk just fine over the cat5 connected
LAN. Configuration is not that hard either. Just go to
http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Sections-article62-page1.php,

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/networking/

or

http://www.slipstick.com/

to name just a few sites that can give you just about all the help you
will need.

Don't forget to put a router like Linksys, Netgear, etc. between your
LAN and your cable/dsl modem though and if you are going to run dialup
through an XP box make sure you still have something like Zonealarm (the
free version) running on all boxes. Do this for any LAN to give an
extra layer of protection.

Good luck and enjoy.

James

Dave Patrick wrote:
> Except if you're running win95 then the hardware is most likely too old and
> under powered. Also be advised that upgrades from win9x almost always fail
> for any number of reasons. Save yourself some time and trouble, given that
> you'll more than likely end up with an unstable OS with all the remnants/
> corruption left behind from the upgrade. Best to blow it all away and go for
> the clean install.
>
> To do a clean install, either boot the Windows 2000 CD-Rom or setup disks.
> The set of four install disks can be created from your Win2k CD-rom; change
> to the \bootdisk directory on the cd-rom and execute makeboot.exe (from dos)
> or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the prompts.
>
> When you get to the point, delete the existing NTFS and or other partitions
> found. After you delete the partition(s) abort the install, then again
> restart the pc booting the CD-Rom or setup disks to avoid unexpected drive
> letter assignments with your new install.
>
> During Windows 2000 setup, at some point, will want to confirm the previous
> operating system for the upgrade; at that point you'll simply insert the
> qualified product install CD for it to verify. Then the install will
> proceed.
>
> Check the pc, mb or hardware manufacturer's web site for the latest bios and
> or Windows 2000 drivers for your devices.
>
> Be sure to apply these to your new install before connecting to any network.
>
> http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D2A8-40D0-A0C5-241BFECD095E/W2KSP4_EN.EXE
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-043.mspx
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-049.mspx

James is right, save yourself the time, agrivation, and cash and just
install a NIC.

If you think your 95 setup need updates try these, they'll get it up to
speed.
http://on-disk.com/95onpack.html
http://on-disk.com/95optipack.html