Sign in with
Your question

Fan Speed and CPU Temp! Need Help!

Last response: in Overclocking
March 22, 2007 8:34:41 PM

Hey guys, I got a new comptuer in today and went to test it, but it was extreemlyyyyyyyyyy noisy, as if I was mowing my lawn!!! 8O

CPU: Core 2 duo E6400

I use a program called Everest to check the stats.

Fan RPM is 6,700!!

But CPU Tempt is only 14C... or 57F!

I'm wondering if both CPU's are activated due to the low temp or its so low because the fan speed is so high...

Is this normal??

~Defender~

More about : fan speed cpu temp

March 22, 2007 9:37:42 PM

Check your temps in BIOS! Sounds as though the fans are working overtime and keeping it all VERY cool!

If you are not going to overclock it, enable fan control to make it quieter. :) 
March 22, 2007 10:49:33 PM

I'll have to check my Bios when I get home.. or do you think waiting a few days will help reduce the noise? Its bran new, and people say I should wait 2 weeks for it to "break in".

~Defender~
Related resources
March 22, 2007 11:13:34 PM

I dont have any good suggestions. But I can assure you the fan is not sprring at 6000+ RPM and the CPU is not at 14C
March 23, 2007 2:35:26 AM

Aha! Finally figured out the problem guys.

I emailed the guys who sent me the PC, and they said when they shipped it, it was very quiet, however it must have gotten messed up during delivery.

I"m thinking.. this thing is going off like a buzzer, so they must be telling the truth then cuz it certainly doesn't sound right.

Apparently the fan was hitting a wire which was causing all the noise!

I"m just glad a fire didn't start! Fan is quiet as a mouse now :) 

~Defender~
March 23, 2007 5:25:07 PM

Quote:
I'll have to check my Bios when I get home.. or do you think waiting a few days will help reduce the noise? Its bran new, and people say I should wait 2 weeks for it to "break in".

~Defender~

They mean Thermal paste heats up, settles and so on and after 2 weeks or so, reaches the BEST joint it can make. This implies, however, that your temps will drop by a few more degrees! 8O

Check the BIOS
March 23, 2007 8:54:05 PM

What's room temp? An air cooled chip can't be cooler than the air around it.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 26, 2007 12:12:01 AM

For info regarding temps, testing, links and results, check out the following Sticky:

Core 2 Duo Temperature Guide

Hope this helps,

Comp 8)
March 26, 2007 2:15:09 AM

14C!!!! Not unless you have outlets in your igloo...hehe. 14C is like 56-57 degrees F
!