dizarky

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
so my main HD on my other comp is clicking and going crazy, basically not letting me start up my comp or anything at all. at one point it'll say it has a corrupt file, then i restart it and it will boot to desktop, work for a little, make a weird clicking/slowing down noise, and then everything freezes. no bsod or anything, just stops dead in it's track like the disk just decided it didn't feel like spinning anymore. Now is there anyway i could tranfer the data on this disk to another one? i imagine i can't fix the hd itself, but if there was a way to transfer the data, that ould be good enough. but i don't know, any thoughs on this would be greatly appreciated.

eckre

Distinguished
May 31, 2006
Try sticking it in the freezer for a little bit. I've heard that that can give a few extra minutes of use from a recalcitrant drive

read that (200 ways to revive a HDD) a bit closer next time. put it in a zip lock bag first. anyways, but yeah your HDD is on it's last legs. get all the data off of it somehow.

dizarky

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
thanks for the advice. i ended up beating the crap out of it and hanging it vertically, and it worked just fine. i was able to clone it to another hard drive with no problems.

sailer

Splendid
thanks for the advice. i ended up beating the crap out of it and hanging it vertically, and it worked just fine. i was able to clone it to another hard drive with no problems.

Now let me guess. The cloned hard drive will only work when hung upside down after being beaten severly.