How do I install Win2000 Professional, from scratch?

I had Win98 installed. It had become corrupted. I have one physical hard
drive partitioned into two logical drives, C and D. All my data is on D
(logical) drive. I formated C drive to remove corrupt Win98 files. Has my
data been wiped off D drive?
I have tried to install Win2000 Professional both from a floppy boot disk
and from the CD Rom. They don't like being installed without Win98 being
there. Thre questions:
Please tell me how to install them without upgrading from Win98?
Have I lost all my data?
Can you recommend a URL on How To Install Windows 2000 Professional?
1 answer Last reply
More about install win2000 professional scratch
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade (More info?)

    To do a clean install, either boot the Windows 2000 install CD-Rom or setup
    disks. The set of four install disks can be created from your Windows 2000
    CD-Rom; change to the \bootdisk directory on the CD-Rom and execute
    makeboot.exe (from dos) or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the prompts
    installing to the formatted partition.

    During Windows 2000 setup, at some point, will want to confirm the previous
    operating system for the upgrade; at that point you'll simply insert the
    qualified product install CD for it to verify. Then the install will
    proceed.

    Check the pc, mb or hardware manufacturer's web site for the latest bios and
    or Windows 2000 drivers for your devices.

    Be sure to apply these to your new install before connecting to any network.

    http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D2A8-40D0-A0C5-241BFECD095E/W2KSP4_EN.EXE

    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Familyman" wrote:
    |I had Win98 installed. It had become corrupted. I have one physical hard
    | drive partitioned into two logical drives, C and D. All my data is on D
    | (logical) drive. I formated C drive to remove corrupt Win98 files. Has my
    | data been wiped off D drive?
    | I have tried to install Win2000 Professional both from a floppy boot disk
    | and from the CD Rom. They don't like being installed without Win98 being
    | there. Thre questions:
    | Please tell me how to install them without upgrading from Win98?
    | Have I lost all my data?
    | Can you recommend a URL on How To Install Windows 2000 Professional?

Microsoft Windows