Need Advice

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
September 26, 2005 5:27:54 PM

Background:

I run a mid size Win2000 network which consists primarily of a Domain
Controller and an Exchange 2000 server. I've managed to restore our
complete network onto completely different hardware - all from backups (part
of out DRP requirements).

Scenario:

The company has decided to upgrade the hardware and OS; we'll be moving to
Win2003 and Exchange 2003.

Questions:

DC...
Do I load Win2000 first, restore the System Disk, System State - then
upgrade to Win2003?
or
Do I load Win2003 on the new box - run it parallel, and use the DCPromo
utility... if so what other considerations are there (User Accounts, DNS,
WINS, DHCP)? and wouldn't this require me to reconfigure
each workstation to the new (DC) DNS Server?

Exchange...
Is the best method to build a fresh Win2003/Exchange 2003 server - run it
parallel to the Win2000/Exchange 2000 server, and copy (drag/drop) the
mailboxes into the new store? and wouldn't this require me to reconfigure
each workstation to the new Exchange Server?

Any and all assistance is appreciated - including white paper or tech
support links.

More about : advice

Anonymous
September 26, 2005 5:27:55 PM

See:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/325379

hth
DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

"JHP" <goawayspam@GFY.com> wrote in message
> Background:
>
> I run a mid size Win2000 network which consists primarily of a Domain
> Controller and an Exchange 2000 server. I've managed to restore our
> complete network onto completely different hardware - all from backups
> (part
> of out DRP requirements).
>
> Scenario:
>
> The company has decided to upgrade the hardware and OS; we'll be moving
> Win2003 and Exchange 2003.
>
> Questions:
>
> DC...
> Do I load Win2000 first, restore the System Disk, System State - then
> upgrade to Win2003?
> or
> Do I load Win2003 on the new box - run it parallel, and use the DCPromo
> utility... if so what other considerations are there (User Accounts, DNS,
> WINS, DHCP)? and wouldn't this require me to reconfigure
> each workstation to the new (DC) DNS Server?
>
> Exchange...
> Is the best method to build a fresh Win2003/Exchange 2003 server - run it
> parallel to the Win2000/Exchange 2000 server, and copy (drag/drop) the
> mailboxes into the new store? and wouldn't this require me to reconfigure
> each workstation to the new Exchange Server?
>
> Any and all assistance is appreciated - including white paper or tech
> support links.

Anonymous
September 26, 2005 7:00:16 PM

Thanks for the link - quite the read!