How do you format SD memory cards?

a b } Memory
June 19, 2005 6:42:13 AM

I have an SD memory card for my digital camera. Everytime I go to insert it
into the camera, it says I must format my memory card first. How do I do this?

More about : format memory cards

Anonymous
a b } Memory
June 19, 2005 6:42:14 AM

From my experience, my digital cameras want to format the memory cards
themselves. Usually they provide some means through their own menu to do
that. Normally they create some file structure that they are happy with, and
usually the result is readable in a standard PC with card reader or a PPC,
though the picture or video file formats may not be supported. Formatting a
memory card in a PPC or in a PC and then sticking it in a camera generally
results in a 'must format' prompt because the camera doesn't see the file
structure it wants.

--
Sven
MVP - Mobile Devices
>I have an SD memory card for my digital camera. Everytime I go to insert it
> into the camera, it says I must format my memory card first. How do I do
> this?

Anonymous
a b } Memory
June 19, 2005 8:06:58 AM

Thank you, I'll see if it's listed on the menu to format the card.
Sven wrote:
>From my experience, my digital cameras want to format the memory cards
>themselves. Usually they provide some means through their own menu to do
>that. Normally they create some file structure that they are happy with, and
>usually the result is readable in a standard PC with card reader or a PPC,
>though the picture or video file formats may not be supported. Formatting a
>memory card in a PPC or in a PC and then sticking it in a camera generally
>results in a 'must format' prompt because the camera doesn't see the file
>structure it wants.
>
>>I have an SD memory card for my digital camera. Everytime I go to insert it
>> into the camera, it says I must format my memory card first. How do I do
>> this?
a b } Memory
June 19, 2005 9:31:37 AM

The format could take a while.
Have the camera hooked to the battery charger.
--
Ron Sommer

"Pamela J via PocketPCJunkies.com" <forum@PocketPCJunkies.com> wrote in
message news:500FE8D6FED00@PocketPCJunkies.com...
> Thank you, I'll see if it's listed on the menu to format the card.
> Sven wrote:
>>From my experience, my digital cameras want to format the memory cards
>>themselves. Usually they provide some means through their own menu to do
>>that. Normally they create some file structure that they are happy with,
>>and
>>usually the result is readable in a standard PC with card reader or a PPC,
>>though the picture or video file formats may not be supported. Formatting
>>memory card in a PPC or in a PC and then sticking it in a camera generally
>>results in a 'must format' prompt because the camera doesn't see the file
>>structure it wants.
>>
>>>I have an SD memory card for my digital camera. Everytime I go to insert
>>>it
>>> into the camera, it says I must format my memory card first. How do I do
>>> this?
Anonymous
a b } Memory
June 19, 2005 7:10:51 PM

I'VE TRIED EVERYTHING. DO THESE THINGS JUST DIE OF ALL OF A SUDDEN?

Ron Sommer wrote:
>The format could take a while.
>Have the camera hooked to the battery charger.
>> Thank you, I'll see if it's listed on the menu to format the card.
>>>From my experience, my digital cameras want to format the memory cards
>[quoted text clipped - 12 lines]

a b } Memory
June 19, 2005 7:10:52 PM

The memory card? Yes, they can. Can I assume you found an option in the
camera to format the card and it doesn't work? Sometimes the card can just
get screwed up and you can format the card in a PC in a card reader. Then
putting it back in the camera and letting it re-format it works.

--
Sven
MVP - Mobile Devices
> I'VE TRIED EVERYTHING. DO THESE THINGS JUST DIE OF ALL OF A SUDDEN?
>
> Ron Sommer wrote:
>>The format could take a while.
>>Have the camera hooked to the battery charger.
>>> Thank you, I'll see if it's listed on the menu to format the card.
>>[quoted text clipped - 12 lines]

a b } Memory
June 19, 2005 7:10:52 PM

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 15:10:51 GMT, "Pamela J via PocketPCJunkies.com"
<forum@PocketPCJunkies.com> wrote:

>I'VE TRIED EVERYTHING. DO THESE THINGS JUST DIE OF ALL OF A SUDDEN?
>
>Ron Sommer wrote:
>>The format could take a while.
>>Have the camera hooked to the battery charger.
>>> Thank you, I'll see if it's listed on the menu to format the card.
>>[quoted text clipped - 12 lines]
You shouldn't need to format the SD card. The device will die long
before the SD card will. (You can write to a specific location a few
million times in the life of the card.)

If you must reformat it get a USB card reader for the desktop and
format it there.

Check the device first. I had CF cards not work in the hp680 only
to find they work fine on the hp548, Dell Axim X5.

Make sure you insert the card correctly. I've found it is
possible to insert the card backwards.