lazykite

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
Hi, Today I got my Computer back from the repair shop. I gave them my pc for a upgrade and i got it back pretty much running like a dog, with components not working and not plugged in....

I am "seeing red" but have to wait till tomorrow to take the computer back to the shop, so i will have had time to contemplate what i should do....
$600 extra dollers in alot of money for me and I need this computer to work for my business!

What should i do? What would you do?

lazykite

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
Computer specs:

Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @2.40GHz
4 Gig of ram
64 Bit Windows home
NVidia Geforce GTX 560 1gig

I am not competent in fixing and upgrading the computer my self....:S

lazykite

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
ah yeah sorry about that.

Well the pc box originally was running winXP, with above mentioned intel chipset, 4 gig ram, 2 x 250 gig hard drives, 8800 gts (inno3d) 300meg

that was mid 2007.

Come 2011, Surely such a beast from 2007 could handle an upgrade that gave it a few more years of life...? (am i really naive....)

I tried installing win7 home, but it ran very slow and laggy. So i assumed the computer shop would know what to do and give me good advice about what i should do. (not sell me parts that arnt gonna work with my current motherboard/chipset)

I told the computer shop i had a $600 budget to spend on new parts and that i wanted to them to install everything. They charged me $100 labour and 500 for parts.

They recommended i get a NVidia Geforce GTX 560 1gig, 64GB SSD, Win7, 6 gig of ram.

However when i picked up the pcbox, they told be they could only install 4 gig of ram because the motherboard had faulty ram slots and it could only handle 4 gig anyway.....
They didnt plug in the older hard drives which i had unplugged in the past while attempting an upgrade(fail).

I thought that when i got home and plugged it all in, it would work like a beast and i could get one with life. unfortunately i might have been a bit naive in thinking this. we talking about PCs afterall.
I have got used to using macs, where although limited in upgrade options, they just keep on working and working.

So today i will take the pc back and see what my options are......
I hope it doesnt cost me anything more...

Cheers
Naive Pc user.

First of all a quad core and 4g ram handles w7 fine. Your videocard should have aswell but an upgrade there isnt bad. If you have faulty ram slots that could be why things ran slow. If only 2g is usable [just an ex] then slowdown would happen. A 64gb ssd was a waste of money. Sure they are fast but for your system a normal hdd is sufficient.

Sad thing is for 600-800 you could have made a new system if you reused your psu and perepherals. Honestly its not hard and you know exactly what is being done to your pc.

Fyi macs all use pc hardware nowdays. Please dont buy into the whole 'mac is better' bs. The only change is the os and its the least secure of them all.

I would suggest actually reading around and asking questions. Going to most pc shops naive will get you ripped off.

lazykite

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
Thnx for the replies. I may well have made a mistake on paying someone els to make the upgrade. oh well, live and learn. The computer shop was embarrassed that it wasnt working and up to scratch, so they doing the work to make it work! (unlike the first time round)
This is a relief, because i really like the shop and i want to support small local businesses.

For the next upgrade, i will visit this forum and build my own box. because you are right, its not too hard anymore.
My current computer should be pretty right now till 2013. ;)

Thnx again, hope i didnt come across to negative, just had my hopes slashed a few times and wasnt expecting it.. :D