Sony 655 vs. 955 & Sony 610 goes kaput

Last response: in Home Theatre
September 30, 2004 6:27:09 PM

Anybody know the difference between the new Sony models KDF-60WF655 and
KDF-60XS955, except for $400 (more for the 955)? Maybe the answer is coded
in the difference in "WF" and "XS" but, if so, it's lost on me. I have gone
over the specs for both at the Sony website but can't really tell what the
difference is.

Must be something: the 955 is 4 inches wider and a couple of pounds heavier.

BTW, for any who may have followed my worrying about whether I should keep
or take back, before the 30 days were up, the 610 model (old model 60") I
had bought heavily discounted as a floor model from Ultimate Electronics.
Well, the gods intervened and made my decision for me.

Last night, the TV went black and would not power back up. When we pressed
the power button, on the remote or the TV set, the green light would blink,
blink, blink but never turn solid green and the TV would never come up.
Eventually, the green blinking light would change to a red one. Lamp light
never came on. But neither did the TV. So we trucked it back over there.
They plugged it in and it wouldn't come on for them either. Case closed.

So, now we are watching an old 32" CRT set, hunting around for a new Sony
model 60". We should probably expand our horizons to other brands and, yes,
I know that Sony is not what it used to be, but their picture does seem to
look better than anyone else's and my wife is very much stuck on Sony, based
on years of good experiences.

I hope -- I expect -- that Sony has cleared up the lamp problems that
afflicted the last models, at least until mid 2004. (The 610 we had was a
Jan 2003 build.)

Anyway, hence my interest in these new Sony models. So far, here in Austin,
they do not seem to have arrived in the stores.

mack
austin
Anonymous
September 30, 2004 6:38:50 PM

>(The 610 we had was a Jan 2003 build.)

What I meant to say was that it was a Jan 2004 build. Still a few months
before Sony supposedly got their act together about the lamp problem.

Sorry about the double-post above. Not quite sure how that happened.

mack
austin

"Mack McKinnon" <MckinnonRemoveThis@tvadmanDeleteThisAsWell.com> wrote in
message news:1JU6d.203$YT3.5@fe2.texas.rr.com...
> Anybody know the difference between the new Sony models KDF-60WF655 and
> KDF-60XS955, except for $400 (more for the 955)? Maybe the answer is
coded
> in the difference in "WF" and "XS" but, if so, it's lost on me. I have
gone
> over the specs for both at the Sony website but can't really tell what the
> difference is.
>
> Must be something: the 955 is 4 inches wider and a couple of pounds
heavier.

> BTW, for any who may have followed my worrying about whether I should keep
> or take back, before the 30 days were up, the 610 model (old model 60") I
> had bought heavily discounted as a floor model from Ultimate Electronics.
> Well, the gods intervened and made my decision for me.
>
> Last night, the TV went black and would not power back up. When we
pressed
> the power button, on the remote or the TV set, the green light would
blink,
> blink, blink but never turn solid green and the TV would never come up.
> Eventually, the green blinking light would change to a red one. Lamp
light
> never came on. But neither did the TV. So we trucked it back over there.
> They plugged it in and it wouldn't come on for them either. Case closed.
>
> So, now we are watching an old 32" CRT set, hunting around for a new Sony
> model 60". We should probably expand our horizons to other brands and,
yes,
> I know that Sony is not what it used to be, but their picture does seem to
> look better than anyone else's and my wife is very much stuck on Sony,
based
> on years of good experiences.
>
> I hope -- I expect -- that Sony has cleared up the lamp problems that
> afflicted the last models, at least until mid 2004. (The 610 we had was a
> Jan 2003 build.)
>
> Anyway, hence my interest in these new Sony models. So far, here in
Austin,
> they do not seem to have arrived in the stores.
>
> mack
> austin

October 1, 2004 5:37:18 AM

The picture on the 955 is supposed to be a little better and like other
products in the XS line it's more related to the XBR series. It borrows it's
styling and a few other features like the screen protector from the XBR.

"Mack McKinnon" <MckinnonRemoveThis@tvadmanDeleteThisAsWell.com> wrote in
message news:1JU6d.203$YT3.5@fe2.texas.rr.com...
> Anybody know the difference between the new Sony models KDF-60WF655 and
> KDF-60XS955, except for $400 (more for the 955)? Maybe the answer is
coded
> in the difference in "WF" and "XS" but, if so, it's lost on me. I have
gone
> over the specs for both at the Sony website but can't really tell what the
> difference is.
>
> Must be something: the 955 is 4 inches wider and a couple of pounds
heavier.

> BTW, for any who may have followed my worrying about whether I should keep
> or take back, before the 30 days were up, the 610 model (old model 60") I
> had bought heavily discounted as a floor model from Ultimate Electronics.
> Well, the gods intervened and made my decision for me.
>
> Last night, the TV went black and would not power back up. When we
pressed
> the power button, on the remote or the TV set, the green light would
blink,
> blink, blink but never turn solid green and the TV would never come up.
> Eventually, the green blinking light would change to a red one. Lamp
light
> never came on. But neither did the TV. So we trucked it back over there.
> They plugged it in and it wouldn't come on for them either. Case closed.
>
> So, now we are watching an old 32" CRT set, hunting around for a new Sony
> model 60". We should probably expand our horizons to other brands and,
yes,
> I know that Sony is not what it used to be, but their picture does seem to
> look better than anyone else's and my wife is very much stuck on Sony,
based
> on years of good experiences.
>
> I hope -- I expect -- that Sony has cleared up the lamp problems that
> afflicted the last models, at least until mid 2004. (The 610 we had was a
> Jan 2003 build.)
>
> Anyway, hence my interest in these new Sony models. So far, here in
Austin,
> they do not seem to have arrived in the stores.
>
> mack
> austin

Anonymous
October 1, 2004 5:52:40 AM

"abe" <abes24@doodeedoo.com> wrote in message
> The picture on the 955 is supposed to be a little better and like other
> products in the XS line it's more related to the XBR series. It borrows
it's
> styling and a few other features like the screen protector from the XBR.

The Sony distributor here told a dealer I was talking to this afternoon that
the difference was (1) a brighter bulb (2) a better LSI chip and (3)
styling. The "replacement bulb" the manual mentions is the same bulb all
the other Sony LCD projectors use, so not sure how that would be. I have no
idea what the LSI chip is but that would relate to the better picture you
mention, I suppose. And the look is obviously different. The screen
protector would be a good thing.

!