a little CPU trouble...

Infinity_Wasted

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
anyone know what would cause an Athlon X2 3800 to run at 50% constantly? I've been having this problem lately. it started when Supreme Commander froze, and ever since then, my computer has been running very slow.

to note, it's only the 2nd core that does this, running at 100%, with the 1st core running within normal range. the 2nd core doesn't actually appear to be doing anything, and when I do try to run something- anything- it doesn't speed up or slow down, anything at all. the CPU was overclocked by 200 Mhz, but I stepped it back down to it's original speed of 2 Ghz.

so, anyone have some kind of solution or advice? anything would be helpful.

darious00777

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
Check which programs are using around 25% of CPU usage (I'm assuming you use Windows, or have access to something like Windows Task Manager). Whatever is using about 25% is probably your culprit. As a side note, switch over to the low refresh setting and watch it for a bit.

Infinity_Wasted

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
okay, I did all of that, except for the drivers. I had no idea that CPU's even required drivers. hehe.

anyway, I'm still not sure what was causing it, but it always happened after Mcafee started up with the computer. so I removed it from that part of the registry, and sure enough, I'm having no problems now. strange that on the CPU column, it showed that Mcafee itself was using less than 20%, though.

thanks for the help everyone!

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
okay, I did all of that, except for the drivers. I had no idea that CPU's even required drivers. hehe.

anyway, I'm still not sure what was causing it, but it always happened after Mcafee started up with the computer. so I removed it from that part of the registry, and sure enough, I'm having no problems now. strange that on the CPU column, it showed that Mcafee itself was using less than 20%, though.

thanks for the help everyone!
Anti-virus....go figure.... the necessary evil..unfortunately. :evil: