Comically immense video card

Chapel

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
I can't stop laughing at the size of my video card. I just received it in the mail. eVGA Geforce 8800gtx acs3. This thing is HUGE and weighs alot more than the normal version due to the heat spreader. I'm afraid of it snapping off inside of my pci-e socket. That's how heavy it is. My motherboard is not laying down flat. Is my card at risk here due to gravity?

-Chapel

Dahak

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
You are good to go.Just don't take your tower anywhere unless you remove the video card first.After which you put it back in.Mother boards and PCB's are a lot tougher than people think.They are also quite flexible.Goodluck.

Dahak

AMD X2-4400+@2.6 S-939
EVGA NF4 SLI MB
2X EVGA 7950GT KO IN SLI
4X 512MB CRUCIAL BALLISTIX DDR500
WD300GIG HD
ACER 22IN WIDESCREEN LCD 1600X1200
THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER 850WATT PSU
COOLERMASTER MINI R120
3DMARK05 13,471

Also just to add to that, don't think that putting the case on it's side is a foolproof way to avoid stress while transorting the lateral stress still exists, and even the up down vibrations will cause stress on the HSF screws.

Always best to take out the card when moving more than a few feet.

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
you can try seaching around, I remember one case had huge plastic handles that hold the videocards to the case tightly, to prevent bending.

or you can just tape it on. duct tape solves everything, after all, as you may or may not know.

i rigged up my own hdd cage, because the case that my friend gave me didn't have one. it consists of aluminum, paper, tape, and a fan :)

my machine is a frankenstein. and i love it.