Computer tech accidentally wipes out Alaska oil fund data

Dahak

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
I doubt he was fired.He was probably sent for retraining at the u.s.tax payers expense.These things happen all the time but just never hear about the incidents as they are usually small and that kind of P.R. is bad for business.Just my take on it.

Dahak

AMD X2-4400+@2.6 S-939
EVGA NF4 SLI MB
2X EVGA 7950GT KO IN SLI
4X 512MB CRUCIAL BALLISTIX DDR500
WD300GIG HD
ACER 22IN WIDESCREEN LCD 1600X1200
THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER 850WATT PSU
COOLERMASTER MINI R120
3DMARK05 13,471

pppjunk

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
"To add insult to injury, the backup tapes also ended up unreadable."

From my experience that is a feature of backup tapes :mrgreen: they are always trashed when you need them !

SomeJoe7777

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
From my experience that is a feature of backup tapes :mrgreen: they are always trashed when you need them !

If you use old tape technology or shoddy equipment that can happen.

Modern SDLT and LTO tapes are far more reliable, and are the standard for enterprise backup.

babybudha

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2006
If you use old tape technology or shoddy equipment that can happen.

Well it was only a 38 billion dollar account, therefore not worth using good equipment.

They only use the good equipment on Trillion dollar accounts. Unless it is the government, then they use old scrapes of paper.

SomeJoe7777

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
Well it was only a 38 billion dollar account, therefore not worth using good equipment.

They only use the good equipment on Trillion dollar accounts. Unless it is the government, then they use old scrapes of paper.

LOL, the funny thing is, it was the government of Alaska. As usual for any government agency, they immediately b0rk anything they lay their hands on. I'm not at all surprised that their backup system didn't work. That's what happens when you overpay underqualified people and provide no oversight.

Vash-HT

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006

LOL, the funny thing is, it was the government of Alaska. As usual for any government agency, they immediately b0rk anything they lay their hands on. I'm not at all surprised that their backup system didn't work. That's what happens when you overpay underqualified people and provide no oversight.

Actually I think it would be more accurate to say they're underpaid, underqualified people that think they're overqualified and deserve more money, so they do an even worse job than they usually do.

BaldEagle

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2004
In the business world (aka "the real world") he would likely have lost his job... in his government "job" ... well, I'm sure he's still there.

"Alaska's Revenue Commissioner at the time, Bill Corbus, said no one was blamed for the incident." WHAAAATT???? only in government could sombody say this!!

How do you accidentally delete $38B and then acidentally delete the backup disk and have ALL the backup tapes unreadable thats an awful lot of accidents to occur at the same time.

petevsdrm

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
In the business world (aka "the real world") he would likely have lost his job... in his government "job" ... well, I'm sure he's still there.

"Alaska's Revenue Commissioner at the time, Bill Corbus, said no one was blamed for the incident." WHAAAATT???? only in government could sombody say this!!

How do you accidentally delete $38B and then acidentally delete the backup disk and have ALL the backup tapes unreadable thats an awful lot of accidents to occur at the same time.

Yeah that really seems like e heck of a "coincidence".....

babybudha

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2006
"No one is to blame for this incident."

This is true. If the government starts making people accountable for there actions, then they themselves would fear being prosecuted for there actions and decisions.

Making someone accountable......would be hypocritical in their minds.