ME Reinstallation Within Windows

DCB_AU

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2002
I have a full retail WinMe OS Cd and have installed over the top of a previous ME installation.

All goes well but before the reinstallation a message appears saying that this cd is not supposed to reinstal the OS from within windows ie, windows is running, I put the ME cd in the DVD rom drive and reinstal from there.

It then says do I want to keep my previous setting preferences etc.

I say no and the reinstallation occurs over the top of the previous instal and everything goes OK.

So question is - why does it say this warning when all goes well with the reinstal?

sturm

Splendid
The install will replace/overwrite protected critical system files that windows needs to operate. These files can not be deleted, replaced or overwritten while windows is running.
It would be like trying to change the oil, sparkplugs, or timing belt in your car while the engine is running. The engine would crash.

DCB_AU

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2002
The install will replace/overwrite protected critical system files that windows needs to operate. These files can not be deleted, replaced or overwritten while windows is running.
It would be like trying to change the oil, sparkplugs, or timing belt in your car while the engine is running. The engine would crash.

Thank's for the info, I thought it would be along those lines,