deceptor

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2004
Have just downloaded the Windows XP Pro 64 bit and burnt to disc by way of Data disk, my problem being that my computer will not boot from the disk. I have changed the boot sequence to CD with no success am I doing something wrong or is there another way to instal the 64 Bit operating system.
thanks in advance any help would be much appreciated.

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Yep, you need to burn the ISO as an image, instead of a data disk.

The built-in software in Windows can't do that, you need something like Nero, Alcohol, Sonic, etc.

Mike.

deceptor

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2004
thank you I downloaded the file as an ISO but in Winrar format when I opened it up it was'nt a image file but the normal setup EXE files do i have to convert these to an image file then burn them with nero

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Umm, that's confusing.

ISO is a format where the whole CD is 1 file with an .ISO extension. That would be burnt with the tool directly to make a bootable CD. WinRAR is file compression (like pkzip). If you extracted the .rar file and you got all the individual files (setup.exe, 200million .cabs, etc.), then that wasn't an ISO image.

So, knowing that, I don't know... Maybe you can burn it like you did before and make it bootable by some option in Nero (don't have it so I can't look to see if it can) or similar. Maybe your cd burning software can automatically open .iso files like it was a zip or rar and that's why you saw the setup.exe, etc.

Hope someone with more of a clue comes along :)

Mike.

riser

Illustrious
Extract the RAR, which should give you a xxx.ISO file. Open your burning program, normally you can do like a New - From ISO or something.. which would then extract the ISO onto the CD, which would give you a full CD format.

An ISO is like a Zip file.. it's 1 file that holds an image of a CD.. like a Zip which holds X files in 1 file.. you just need a CD-Burning program to extract the ISO, much like you need WinZip or WinRAR to extract zips and rars.