Help a 14 yr Old Noob!

alex_ng

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
HI! Can some of you guess tell me if my overclock is a little high? I"m running a C2D E6600 @ 2.8GHZ (311) on an asus p5b. It's being cooled by the stock cooler and the voltage is at 1.19 so can you tell me if idling @ 44-45C is kinda high and do i need to set the Vcore higher?

-Thanks Alex :)

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
Turning up the vcore would only make your temps rise even more, if its stable where it is leave it there. Your idle temps are fine. What are your load temps?

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
first add a second fan to nb buy a 40mm cooler master and screw it into the heat sink fins it will fit. it comes with heat sink (combo fan hs) i throw them on sb sometimes - u can take a fan and point it at the mobo nb if u do this out of the case and if u can't wait for the nb fan

better yet! get a nb passive cooler (thermalright hr-1 and add a 70mm fan u zip tie it on) below is an offset version
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/sidewindercomputers/hr05sli.jpg

next crank up the fsb, Vcore, Vmch and set the mem volt to 2.1

change one setting at time if you get stuck

Vcore 1.4 - use artic silver stock cooler is fine
vmem - unless u got some good stuff set the Vmem to 2.1 - latencies last
Vmch - 1 from the bottom, stick with auto to the end*

fsb - 375 you can go higher later

go to in the bios, the hardware check your temps should be ~40-42c - if ok increase fsb - some mobos u need to skip around it might run at 399 and 450 but not 425.

you need the extra fan on the nb - you can crank up your Vmch to max - check the heat sink wih your hand - while running ground yourself** by holding the pc case

check you mem with your hand

manually set you lateccys last

*set all settings maually to prevent f1 oc error on boot

**grounding -- if you have low humidity below 50% you can get static - if you live in the desert or the arctic its common - if you live in Florida u never get it in the summer, but if u run your air conditioner high u could get it. if u have low humidity run a humidifier in the room u working or ground yourself with a wrist strap

good luck - i add more detail later if u need it

The idle temps are a bit high to tell the truth. That's not a problem in itself, but if your idle temps are 44-45 C, then I bet your load temps get into the 60s, which *is* bad. Ideally, you'd like to keep your load temps down in the 40s where your idle temps are but anything below 55 C is acceptable. Running a desktop CPU at over 60 C for very long will hurt it as the CPUs' "danger, Will Robinson" temp are about 70 C. That's when the CPU throttles or shuts the computer off in order not to kill itself.

A good way to test for stability is to run two instances of Prime95 for an extended period of time. The computer works about as hard as it will ever work on this task, making your computer as hot as it will get. Changing the clock-voltage specs outside of the norm can result in some transistors not working properly, yielding errors or lockups. Prime95 has the computer crunch on fast Fourier transforms and then compare the answer gotten to a known good answer. If your CPU is any hair less than stable, it'll fail. Sometimes it takes a while to get a tiny power ripple or something to cause the CPU running out of spec to error, so you'll want to run Prime95 for hours at whatever you consider to be "stable." You will also see how hot your CPU can get doing this, too.

alex_ng

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
sorry for the long reply i was just eating dinner.
anyways i hav a sonata 2 with two 120mm fans (i addedd another one), the intak fan is set @ low and the one @ the back is @ high. how can i make my temps lower, i don't wanna go 2 extremes lik lapping or stuff like tat. My full load temp is around 54-55C.

HI! Can some of you guess tell me if my overclock is a little high? I"m running a C2D E6600 @ 2.8GHZ (311) on an asus p5b. It's being cooled by the stock cooler and the voltage is at 1.19 so can you tell me if idling @ 44-45C is kinda high and do i need to set the Vcore higher?

-Thanks Alex :)
Leave it alone for now.

I've built three so far and I've been using computers since well before you were born :D We all have to start building sometime, and I think I was older than 14 when I built my first. Before that, it was all OEM machines :( But that's not to say that I didn't mess around inside of them, replacing and upgrading stuff.

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
what signs should i look out for when i'm running my CPU OC'ed @ a long period of time?

Well, when you overclock your opponent is always heat. You try to keep your voltage as low as possible. Adding voltage is what really makes the heat jump up.

Do some reading on good overclocking methods. If you get a popular motherboard you'll even be able to find board-specific guides in most cases.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
All I can say is...

Geesh... I wish I had an E6600 at the age of 14.

And.. OC'ing? I couldn't OC my dad's old TRS-80, not to mention speeding up the cassette tape to load programs. :lol:

sweetpants

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2006
sorry for the long reply i was just eating dinner.
anyways i hav a sonata 2 with two 120mm fans (i addedd another one), the intak fan is set @ low and the one @ the back is @ high. how can i make my temps lower, i don't wanna go 2 extremes lik lapping or stuff like tat. My full load temp is around 54-55C.

You can replace the stock cooling unit with an aftermarket one like the Tuniq Tower.

My E6400 is at 3.4ghz with 1.400v core and my idle temps are just 32c and load temps under dual prime 95 are 56c using this cooler. :wink:

This is a great response here, and I would agree. I would grab an aftermarket cooler and then run the stability testing. Like people said before, if you run into instability in the slightest I would tone down the overclock.

Tuniq, Typhoon VX, Zalman 9700 if you can afford it, Arctic Cooling 7. As long as you use a backing plate, and don't sling around your case like a mad man, you should be relatively okay.