Sign in with
Your question

Lost fundage in the middle of a build, how screwed am I now?

Last response: in CPUs
March 23, 2007 3:11:17 AM

So last summer I was building a rig and well, money got tight around the holidays and I put off finishing the build.

Here is my delimma so far:

I bought an Asus A8n-SLI Premium s939 on a 3 day special, but didn't pick up a proc for it.

Yes dumb of me to buy the Motherboard and not a proc at the same time however I did so due to the "wait, proc prices will be dropping soon on 939's"

and the fact that the special was 3 days.

So Now I'm finishing the build and the only thing I need are the proc and vid car.

I'm safe as far as the vid card goes (PCI-Express 16)...however of course the 939 X2's are deader than dead dead dead. Sure sure, they come around every so often...but they are very limited and bought within hours on Newegg and TigerDirect.

Went looking around today and even my rag a muffin mom n pop comp stores are out and of course all the local fry's as well. So much for Brick & Mortar.

Am I that badly hosed or what?

I'd hate to dump a perfectly good motherboard and 2 gig of memory down the toilet but I don't see any X2 4400's, 4800's or even the FX60's for sale.

Those few I come across want $800 for them and I am not spending that for a chip that normally sells for $250 (X2 44 and 48's)-$350(FX-60).

I could've sworn I read on here that people were going into the Opteron's for gaming use and overclocking the crud out of them.

I'd certainly be up for that considering It'll be a water cooled system.

System use for Gaming up front, but of course CD/DVD burning, ringtone making, and mp3 stuff as well. I do a small amount of web coding too for the Vaults

Won't be any office software on it since I built a workstation before this and it's rocking along quite nicely with all of those apps.

So Opteron's a possibly choice for me or should I just keeping asking for Auto-Replies and wait for the 4400, 4800 or FX60 to come back in stock at my usual places?

Thanks in advance for any input, and yes, I am a dumb guy for not buying a MB and Proc together. Wanted to buy my 5 yr old really something special for Christmas and I totally don't regret it...I just wish it hadn't put my build in this predicament.
March 23, 2007 3:30:30 AM

So this is salvageable?

Just need a vid card and an Opty chip and I'd be running pretty well you think?

I have everything else but these 2 items and my biggest worry was the proc. I wasn't quite sure if the stuff I'd read was true about gaming on an Opty was just as good as an X2 or FX.
March 23, 2007 3:40:24 AM

Quote:
So this is salvageable?

Just need a vid card and an Opty chip and I'd be running pretty well you think?

I have everything else but these 2 items and my biggest worry was the proc. I wasn't quite sure if the stuff I'd read was true about gaming on an Opty was just as good as an X2 or FX.

Absolutely.

Look, dont sweat it. Its not going to be a screamer relative to a X26000, but you can put a single core 4000 in there for $77 plus shipping and tax.

NewEgg 4000 939

If you want to spend more, you can get an X24800 for $382, or an opty

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_attrib.php/page_id=4...[]=12:278/sortby=priceA
March 23, 2007 3:45:52 AM

single core core FX-57??? or dual 4200+ are the best i see around now days for 939
March 23, 2007 4:30:03 AM

Socket 939's are still very competitive with AM2 cpus. Get an Opteron - basically any speed opty will overclock up to at least 2.6 GHz with stock cooling, some are good to 3GHz, the only advantage with the higher binned ones being the higher multiplier meaning you don't have to push the FSB as high. If you look at the cpu charts, you'll see that DDR2 didn't help much in real world use (<5%), but the 1 MB cache of the opty's make up for that in most situations. Don't bother with a single core, though, with apps being designed for multiple cores becoming the norm, and the lack of slowdowns when running multiple apps, dual core is the way to go. I'm partial to the opty 170 which has a 10X multi, and is relatively cheap and still usually available. Get one sooner,rather than later now, however. I prefer to get the mobo, RAM and CPU at the same time so I can make sure everything POSTs, then they can lay around until I get a deal on the HDDs and case,etc.
Good luck.
March 23, 2007 4:32:46 AM

Thanks a bunch for the info.

in the case I go Opty, I'm assuming the A8N-SLI Prem just needs a BIOS update to run one? Not finding it as an option in the manual or on the box.

I'm assuming it will run it because its a 939 socket, however, i've been wrong before. Anyone out there running one with this board or know someone?
a b à CPUs
March 23, 2007 4:57:53 AM

The 4000 is a quick chip. If you want to get a dual core, which are quite handy, the opteron 180 and 185's are really, really, good. same as the 4800 and fx-60, but have locked multipliers, but they run alot cooler. If you overclock, you can push them a little further with the right memory and voltages upped.
March 23, 2007 5:23:04 AM

It should run fine, but a BIOS update will probably just keep it from appearing as "Unknown Processor at xxxx MHz" at POST. I had one in an A8N-E, but the board didn't overclock as far as others, so I just threw an X2 in it at stock and sold it. My opteron 170 has been running at 2.7GHz at stock voltage for almost a year and a half - if I had the money right now, I'd buy another and give away my 3200+ that's in my HTPC. The fan rarely spins up on the opty, and the stock cooler is a nice heatpipe unit.
March 23, 2007 5:33:09 AM

Any of the opteron 1xx series should be a drop-in replacement on a 939 MB. That said, I cannot say that I've tried on this particular MB. There could be a voltage issue or some such. Should be easy to overcome for someone with a signature such as yours.
March 23, 2007 5:44:00 AM

rofl. thanks for the vote of confidence ie my sig.

Yes it's true, I'm a certifed lvl 3 Tech. I can do repairs all the way up to soldering on your mobile phones PCB. hehe

Ah, now which one to choose, 170, 175 or 180. Gonna keep my cost under $300 because I want to put a nice chunk of $$$ into the video card. heh
March 23, 2007 5:50:57 AM

Best bang for the buck on the day... 939 CPU's are starting to look like hens' teeth.
March 23, 2007 5:55:22 AM

I own 2 939's which I've upgraded. Do yourself a favor and go dual core. 2.2 or 2.4ghz. I have the FX-55 and my X2 4200+ did better. I also have the FX-60 dual, which rox. I wouldn't bother with SLI for a DX10 card. Two will be too CPU limited anything short of an X2 4400+.

Anyway, that's my advice. The FX-60 can still be found online, but they're not easy to find.
March 23, 2007 6:01:26 AM

So the fx 55 is a dual core? And an fx 60 as well? Glad to know that.
March 23, 2007 6:52:42 AM

Sorry, Logan.o.h. I was being sarcastic...

Or the 175 or 180....

Dual cores all, all very clockable. As I said previously, best bang for the buck on the day.

(My 175 is quite happy.)
March 23, 2007 8:13:48 AM

Keep looking neibour.I am still able to get dual core opterons for the socket 939.Look around for one of those.Besides,they like to oc better.Seriously.If you are not sure if the dc opterons are supported by your bios,then go to the MB website and get a bios update for it.Or just check it by looking up your bios version.Goodluck.

Dahak

AMD X2-4400+@2.6 S-939
EVGA NF4 SLI MB
2X EVGA 7950GT KO IN SLI
4X 512MB CRUCIAL BALLISTIX DDR500
WD300GIG HD
ACER 22IN WIDESCREEN LCD 1600X1200
THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER 850WATT PSU
COOLERMASTER MINI R120
3DMARK05 13,471
March 23, 2007 8:22:12 AM

Quote:
Sorry, Logan.o.h. I was being sarcastic...

Or the 175 or 180....

Dual cores all, all very clockable. As I said previously, best bang for the buck on the day.

(My 175 is quite happy.)

Croc, how were you being sarcastic? The FX-55 isn't dual...which is why I pointedly remarked that my X2 4200+ had done better...however for my gaming machine I felt that buying an FX-55 for $120 and selling my X2 4200+ for $300 was a good idea (3 months? ago). The FX-55 is clocked at 2.6 while the X2 4200+ is a mere 2.2ghz. Since this is a minimalist mATX system used just for gaming with DX9 there's no point in having dual core, and my primary system is an FX-60. MOST enthusiasts don't even have that. My recommendation would be to find an X2 or an Opty dual core, find the best one you can within reason. List your price here and we'll tell you if it's worth it. To get an idea, the Opty 185 is the same as an FX-60. Both are dual core at 2.6ghz with 2mb's of L2. I bought mine on the cheap for about $350 2 months? ago. Those two procs are the best you can get for 939. On the lowest end, the Athlong64 3000+ is running for about $45? now I believe. I'm sure some idiot will argue my pricing but it's an estimate to help you know what price range you're looking at.
March 23, 2007 8:14:40 PM

If he looks into 170's etc, he should make sure he gets a dual core, they come in both single and dual. They mirror the Athlon64's pretty much with slightly more OC potential.

http://store.memorylabs.net/amdopduprmo1.html
That's the cheapest I found it, if you trust the site. Not sure I would though. Try froogling it. Anyone bought from there before?

http://www.directron.com/osa144bnbox.html
There's the single core variety.

Some great choices here...
http://www.directron.com/fx53socket939.html
The 4000+ is a GREAT single core for the price.
The FX-60 is best you can buy for 939 although Core2Duo's are more powerful and cheaper.

http://www.directron.com/amddualcore.html
March 23, 2007 9:38:40 PM

How screwed are you now? Well, you don't have a motherboard for a C2D, or a C2D which smoke all AMD chips after dinner. You're screwed.
March 23, 2007 9:46:22 PM

Buy an Opty NOW! I just bought a Opty 165....running at stock Vcore at 2.6 ghz. I can run mine at 2.9 ghz (at 1.425 vcore :D  ) but my mobo limits me after that. (At 320 mhz FSB ) Pick up a Opty 170 for $188 here and you should be just good to go on overclocking. Should hit 2.6 easy. Probably up to 2.8. Maybe up to 3.0!

Look at the Tom's Hardware CPU charts. The 2.6 ghz Toledo Fx-60 is still a viable competitor to today's processors. Take your Opty up to those speeds at less than half the price!
March 23, 2007 10:06:16 PM

Quote:
How screwed are you now? Well, you don't have a motherboard for a C2D, or a C2D which smoke all AMD chips after dinner. You're screwed.

Its this kind of thing that starts FLAMEWARS!!!

(Stop doing that!)

Besides, when the OP already has RAM and a Mobo, the AMD is just the better option for the price.
March 23, 2007 10:35:22 PM

Quote:

Its this kind of thing that starts FLAMEWARS!!!

(Stop doing that!)
YEAH, here's the WATER!!!
a c 344 à CPUs
March 23, 2007 10:45:21 PM

Look on E-bay. If you don't find what you want, leave a favorite search reminder, and you will get an e-mail when it shows up. Be careful that you know what a fair price is, and check feedback.
March 24, 2007 2:46:22 PM

Why is he screwed? He can get THIS http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
and still be smoking without OCing...super fast CPU's aren't even needed for most applications. Hell, a single core would do just fine for gaming...provided he limits how much junk he puts on his system. For a gaming system, you want to limit programs. I have my windows interface simplified for performance as well. Every little bit I can do to get the most frames.

Anyway, for socket 939...I don't think you can beat that Opty 180 dual if you don't plan to OC. That's a helluva price, and it's just .2ghz less than the FX-60 which is 2.6ghz.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
There's the top Opteron, although it's $65 more.
March 24, 2007 11:55:17 PM

If you want to go the cheap way, the price cuts have just started; S939 X2 3800+ for only $114 :wink:
http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=A64-3800BV

Not a top OC-er but should still do at least 2.5GHz on stock (or slightly more) voltage and it's really DIRT CHEAP!!!
!