14 fps 640x480 Medium Quality Quake 4

TStedel

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
I recently purchased an 8800 gtx, and for some reason, it's been giving me problems.

I can't set anti-aliasing in games, which I guess is ok, I can force it with the control panel.

I can force ultra quality on doom 3 and quake 4 as it does not work in the game. Ok.

But now, I have installed, and successfully run quake 4, but I am getting absolutely horrible frame rates. I have 97.92 nvidia xp drivers. I have used driver cleaner pro to get rid of the drivers I used with the 7900 that I swapped out of here. The 7900 ran absolutely perfectly with every game, albeit not with the FPS I desired (Dropping very low in supreme commander).

My system is:

E6600 @ 2.4
eVGA 680i
2 Raptors Raid0
Windows XP 32 professional
2GB Corsair Dominator @ 4-4-4-12 @ 800 Mhz
dwl 520+ NIC.
xfx 8800 gtx

It runs any other game perfectly. I was wondering if anyone had a similar problem? Does anyone know what I can do? I haven't tried swapping the video card out, and I haven't formatted since I placed the Video card, but I'd like these things to occur last.

Thank you for your time.

slashzapper

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
8O 8O 8O 8O lMAO 14 fps that high :lol: on 640x 480 , try reducing the resolution :lol:

Alright first of all , it is NOT OKAY THAT YOU CANt SET AA 8O

I have a 8800 Gts and its the beast , your Gtx should spank the hell out if its lil bro :D

Re-install the system , i generally don't believe in this but , this has to be some kind of record to be able to get 14 fps at 640x480 .

Are you sure your MOTHERBOARD drivers are properly installed , have you downloaded the latest Bios. 680i chipset has got some issues with RAM as well , specially Corsair .

slashzapper

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
Dude that screenshot was painful .

Doom 3 on what settings ?? you should be able to play these games at over 1600x1200 on full AA AF with everything set on UBER and still get TRIPLE digit bench marks .

Paging all geeks - Great APE and the rest , help this guy out .

All i can say is that unless your GTX is really a 9200 ati in disguise otherwise there is something seriously wrong.

What PSU are you using , dude give all the specs like how many amps on the 12 rails .

I read a lot of posts but yours is definitly a unique one . Don't worry though the guys on this forum will get to the bottom of this :D get ready to answer some tough questions :lol:

I just noticed , WELCOME TO THE FORUMS OFFICIALLY :D

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
ouch....

runs fine with old card...
runs terrible with new card...

you ran driver cleaner pro (you did use it from safe mode right ?)

Did you download the newest drivers ?

XP or Vista ? (I imagine XP based on the driver cleaner thing... not sure if it runs under vista or not)

Dade_0182

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
The newest drivers are not always the best drivers. Try and install drivers that are a bit older. Its the same as some bios's, the new ones are not always the best. Just try it, you have nothing to lose.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Yeah, try the thumbnail resolution. I'm sure you'll get somewhere around 40fps+ a good visual quality.

Quake 4 drivers are not that good with the new Nvidia forceware. I know for one thing DX9 drivers on Quake 4 is better with the older forceware. Whenever I install Quake 4 I used the 84 forceware and then play it, save and update the driver to latest DX9. Quake 4 is having a problem on not starting with the newer forceware. I don't know why and seems they can't have a patch for this error.

So for you installing Quake, use the oldest driver that is known to work with the game. Install the game, play it and then save. And finally update the forceware back to the latest. Try that.

choknuti

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
I have heard of other people having problems with the 8800 drivers. Have you tried any other game? Or is this problem only appearing in quake 4 ?

Diabetic1

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
The 8800 WinXP drivers are STILL terrible (after, what, 5 months?). I bought a GTS on the 16th and it arrived a couple days ago, and my god, it's awesome but........ the drivers just suck monkey penis.

It took me hours of tweaking to get HL2 (Source based games) and BF2 to even run with AA. I think nVidia needs to pull their finger out and start hammering out good quality driver code for their new top end cards.

King-Of-Kings

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
lol that screenshot looks like a 3D version of doom 2.

For some reason when i switched to the GTS i haen't been able to change the resolution on doom 3 and quake 4, it stayed at the default. The frames didn't go slow or anything but i couldn't change the res.

Then a played F.E.A.R. and stopped caring. :lol:

TStedel

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
I have tried the 97.44 drivers, and the same problem arose. I don't know if this is what I should be getting, but in Doom 3, I have Ultra Quality, 1600x1200, all shaders on, 16xQ AA and 16x AF, Trilinear filtering, Supersampling, I get 44.8 fps average in the timedemo demo1. I don't know if this is normal. Also, my power supply says it has 35 A on the 12 volt rail. I think this is sufficient. The Power Supply is 600 w, and it says "SLI Ready", So I assumed this meant it was capable of powering the 8800.

I will try the older drivers as well. I will also try that suggestion by beerandcandy. If you guys can think of anything, that would be excellent, and as well, thank you for all the helpful posts, I really appreciate it.

TStedel

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
My GPU idles at about 59-60 in my case, it's an Antec 900. I'm hoping that those fans are doing something useful :).

Yes, the extra power connector is in there.

Eviltwin17

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2006
it sounds like you have a faulty card, you should return it and get another one.

I have a friend who bought a 7800gt a while back and had the same problem so he sent his back and it turns out his card was just a lemon

you should try using different drivers first though

TStedel

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
What do you mean the same problem? I get correct 3d mark 06 score (About 10,600 with this rig), and the framerates I'd expect in all the other games (Supreme Commander, Rise of Legends, Doom 3), it's only Quake 4 that doesn't work.

If however THAT is what you mean by same problem, then please post again so I can confirm.

sirrobin4ever

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
I can run the game at 1280x1024 at medium settings with my 9800 pro at a decent framerate....so.....yeah....somethings wrong....

I'd reinstall Windows. Sure sounds like a driver/windows related problem to me.

choknuti

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
I'd reinstall Windows. Sure sounds like a driver/windows related problem to me.

The OP just said that the problem is only with Quake 4. All the other games perform as should.

@TStedel since your problem is with quake 4 only I suggest that you search ID software's site for a patch.

zornundo

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
What do you mean the same problem? I get correct 3d mark 06 score (About 10,600 with this rig), and the framerates I'd expect in all the other games (Supreme Commander, Rise of Legends, Doom 3), it's only Quake 4 that doesn't work.

If however THAT is what you mean by same problem, then please post again so I can confirm.

Try uninstalling/reinstalling Quake 4...or just don't play it :roll:

TStedel

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
I have reinstalled Quake 4.

I'd even say ok to not playing it, but I'm afraid that this problem here is revealing deeper problems with my setup. I have only tried a handful of games with this card, and if there's certain things simply not working I would like it fixed.

Stewartwi

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006
14 FPS on that card makes baby Jesus Cry.

crybaby.jpg

testbenchdude

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
ID games are OpenGL games. Something is not letting your card work correctly with OpenGL. I know you used driver cleaner and installed the latest; try doing that again and going back to a previous version like one of the other posters said.

I can't check at the moment, but is there a setting in Nvidia's control panel that decides whether OpenGL is software or hardware rendered? It almost sounds like your OpenGL games are being processed by your CPU...

I'd check that. Or, when you uninstall your drivers, see if that gets rid of all Nvidia stuff; drivers AND any utilities such as their control panel. Then reinstall.

*EDIT

I misread where you said Doom3 works fine. In that case it's almost got to be application specific; try going through the game's settings with a fine-toothed comb and see if there's anything like I mentioned above. Or if there's an application-specific setting in your Nvidia control panel...

GL dude and let us know what you find.

ZimboBEAR

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
Have you tried running the quake patch that optimizes the game for Dual Core CPU's and then enabling the multicore option in your settings in Quake 4? Just a thought, as since your card seems to be fine with every other game you play then perhaps its not quite happy with your E6600, and thus causing the problems that you are getting.

Silly idea i know, but worth a try i guess.

TStedel

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
Yes, I have 1.3 patch, and it has smp. However, when I enable it, quake 4 will simply not work... :(

Driver cleaner and the install did indeed remove the nvidia control panel.

As for the application specific settings, I don't believe I've changed it since my last driver clean, it's still all set to Application setting.

TRENDING THREADS