david_uk

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2005
Is this applicable to AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core processors?
sounds obvious I know, but it doesn't make any mention of that in the patch!

david_uk

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2005
Thanks for the link Dragon, you are a fountain of knowledge! however that discussion over at anandtech forums is more than 2 months old. I would assume that any new pc bought today from a reputable manufacturer would have all these problems resolved anyway.

DRAGoNX

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2005
Belive it or not, nope! Installing the microsoft dual core patch and the AMD X2 drivers, fixes all shuttering in all games! w/o having to disable one of the cores.

-dragonx

david_uk

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2005
Fair enough, but I'll wait to see whether I do actually notice any decreased performance before installing this patch! My experience is to install patches only when absolutely necessary.

I've not used windows xp as yet and this reference to a 'service pack 2' is a bit of a mystery. However I gather it is collection of patches and fixes to windows xp that ms release as a single mass patch. My question is, when is the next service pack due to be released, since it says that this patch to fix problem with dual core processors will be included in that.

If you've used Windows NT, 2000 or XP, you should have heard of service packs. Windows NT 4.0 is up to SP 6, 2000 is up to SP 4, and of course XP is on SP 2.

Yes, basically a service pack is a roll-up of all the patches released previously. It can also provide extra features to the OS. (Win XP got a new and improved firewall as well as a pop-up blocker for IE).

I prefer to keep the OS up-to-date between service packs, especially the critical updates. If you wait for service packs before installing updates, you miss out on a lot of important security fixes.

riser

Illustrious
When critical hot fixes come out.. you're better off to instal immediately. There's a reason for it.. any outside consulting firm will tell you you're better off installing it and taking the risk than not to.

The other stuff is optional.. just the critical hot fixes should be installed asap though.

Prime example: SQL Slammer (I think it was a hot fix, but not listed as a critical one).