Double Icons on Desktop

After cleaning the system of a recurring, hidden DLL trojan, the system
would not allow right clicking on the desktop or any Windows Explorer.
I was able to alleviate that issue with a couple Registry changes that
I saw a MSVP assist another user with. However, each time I attempt to
place a new icon on the system, two (2) identical icons for the program
appear on the desktop. Oddly enough, even after attempting to delete
one of them, the remaining icon .LNK is nonfunctional and will
disappear after refreshing the desktop. Any clues on how I can resolve
this issue?

kworley517

--
kworley517
kworley517's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=295

kworley517 <kworley517.1mrvkh@no-mx.msusenet.com> wrote:

>After cleaning the system of a recurring, hidden DLL trojan, the system
>would not allow right clicking on the desktop or any Windows Explorer.
>I was able to alleviate that issue with a couple Registry changes that
>I saw a MSVP assist another user with. However, each time I attempt to
>place a new icon on the system, two (2) identical icons for the program
>appear on the desktop. Oddly enough, even after attempting to delete
>one of them, the remaining icon .LNK is nonfunctional and will
>disappear after refreshing the desktop. Any clues on how I can resolve
>this issue?

Check the settings in
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
Shell Folders
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
Shell Folders
Make sure that the "Desktop" settings here do not match. They have to
point to a) your personal DESKTOP folder and b) to ALL USERS\DESKTOP.

--
(tm)

TRENDING THREADS