LAN Network connection "limited or no connectivity&quot

Tags:
  • Network Connection
  • Connection
  • DSL
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
November 24, 2005 7:06:29 PM

I connect to the Intenet using dsl and XP Home. After connecting to the Internet, the icons in my lower taskbar show two things:

1-the dsl connection icon shows connected and its speed.
2-the LAN connection next to the above icon show a yellow exclamation point over the two computer icon, meaning limited or no connectivity.

How do I correct the exclamation over the 2nd icon or can it be disabled and still maintain my dsl connection?

Thank you.

More about : lan network connection limited connectivity quot

November 25, 2005 7:04:41 PM

make sure that you got DHCP enabled in your network properties under TCPIP. If you do go into your cmd line and do an ipconfig /release and then and ipconfig/renew. that releases your ip address and renews it. let me know if that worked
November 28, 2005 12:48:17 PM

Do you have a router in this mix?

If you have a router, you should be obtaining a IP from the Router, your router should be getting it's IP from your ISP. In which case, your cable is probably bad.

If you don't have a router, there is a good chance your cable may be damaged. Try replacing the cable and trying again.

There is also a somewhat recent virus, within the last 2-3 months, that causes your network connections to stop working.

First, I would replace the cable and test that. Also, make sure you're set to DHCP, which is defaulted generally in Windows, unless you changed it at some point.
November 28, 2005 3:13:51 PM

There is no router.
November 28, 2005 6:35:05 PM

Did you read the whole thing?

Did you try a different cable?
November 28, 2005 10:34:27 PM

How do you connect to your DSL modem? by Ethernet cable or USB or wireless? If it is wireless then your modem has router built-in, and you shouldn't be worried about the LAN connection (you can disable it by open Network connections, right-click Local Area Connection, choose Properties and clear the check box Notify me when this connection has limited or no connectivity).
November 29, 2005 1:54:35 PM

Or you can simply manually assign an IP address to the NIC... that will help your boot time as well.
!