D-Link 4300 & PPPoE connection issues?

Blueboy

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2004
I was about to purchase a D-Link 4300 wireless router when I read several reviews detailing a problem with using that router with a PPPoE connection. It seems the router is disconnecting itself and requiring a reboot seemingly at random. My question is has this problem been diagnosed and/or fixed?

One post I read said that the problem comes with using p2p software trying to open lots of connections, when the router only supports 180(i think it was). So just limiting the amount of bandwidth available to such programs should prevent the problem from occuring?

Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated!

Before you ask for it...

My current setup is 2 computers networked via some old Wal-Mart router sharing a DSL connection. My intention is to hardwire the computer nearest to the DSL modem and use wireless on the furthest computer as well as a Playstation3. I do mostly online gaming and bittorrent downloading.

BB

Madwand

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
All consumer routers have issues with massive P2P -- it's just a question of how much traffic they can handle before failures. The general advice for massive P2P is to either get a really high-end router, or better yet, to get some old computer, and install a software firewall/router on it. The latter is more commonly done.

I have a DGL-4300, and like it a lot. I've never had it lock up or require a re-boot beyond the typical settings / firmware updates. My DSL/PPPOE however does disconnect at times and requires resetting -- I generally resolve this by power cycling the DSL modem, so that looks like a DSL issue, not a router issue. But even then, it's fairly rare that I have to do this -- I've been considering updating my DSL modem for a while, but haven't gotten around to it as it's not that big of an issue for me.

I've done some online gaming and BT in the past, but avoid both of them in general these days, so can't really comment on BT + online gaming. I suggest if you're a heavy user that you take a serious look at the cheap dedicated computer for this -- there's just no way that a consumer router will have as much processing power and RAM as even an old computer, and many people report good results with them for P2P.