Opening a Drive by double click- Problems!!

March 31, 2005 4:33:07 PM

Hi. I dont know how or what I've done but since last night, when I go into my
computer to open (by double-click) a DVD or CD-RW drive icon, instead of a
window opening to show the drives contents, all I get is the XP search window
opening asking what I want to look for in the drive. This is the window that
opens when you selct the search option from the Start menu.

What have I done and how do I revert it back to just showing the contents of
the drive when I double-click it?

Any help will be gratefully appreciated.
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 1:43:50 AM

Hi

Please see if the following link to Kelly's web site helps. Please read the
directions at the top of the page:

Line 18 - right hand side

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups.

"Shamone 79" <Shamone79@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi. I dont know how or what I've done but since last night, when I go into
> my
> computer to open (by double-click) a DVD or CD-RW drive icon, instead of a
> window opening to show the drives contents, all I get is the XP search
> window
> opening asking what I want to look for in the drive. This is the window
> that
> opens when you selct the search option from the Start menu.
>
> What have I done and how do I revert it back to just showing the contents
> of
> the drive when I double-click it?
>
> Any help will be gratefully appreciated.
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 1:43:51 AM

Hi. I clicked on 'Search opens when double clicking a file or folder' and a
download window opened. The download file has done nothing to resolve the
problem.

"Will Denny" wrote:

> Hi
>
> Please see if the following link to Kelly's web site helps. Please read the
> directions at the top of the page:
>
> Line 18 - right hand side

> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups.
>

> "Shamone 79" <Shamone79@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi. I dont know how or what I've done but since last night, when I go into
> > my
> > computer to open (by double-click) a DVD or CD-RW drive icon, instead of a
> > window opening to show the drives contents, all I get is the XP search
> > window
> > opening asking what I want to look for in the drive. This is the window
> > that
> > opens when you selct the search option from the Start menu.
> >
> > What have I done and how do I revert it back to just showing the contents
> > of
> > the drive when I double-click it?
> >
> > Any help will be gratefully appreciated.

Related resources
April 1, 2005 1:43:52 AM

Since you top posted I will also.
Did you right click on the downloaded file and select Merge?

> Hi. I clicked on 'Search opens when double clicking a file or folder' and
> download window opened. The download file has done nothing to resolve the
> problem.
>
> "Will Denny" wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Please see if the following link to Kelly's web site helps. Please read
>> the
>> directions at the top of the page:
>>
>> Line 18 - right hand side
>>
>> --
>>
>> Will Denny
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>> Please reply to the News Groups.
>>

>> "Shamone 79" <Shamone79@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi. I dont know how or what I've done but since last night, when I go
>> > into
>> > my
>> > computer to open (by double-click) a DVD or CD-RW drive icon, instead
>> > of a
>> > window opening to show the drives contents, all I get is the XP search
>> > window
>> > opening asking what I want to look for in the drive. This is the window
>> > that
>> > opens when you selct the search option from the Start menu.
>> >
>> > What have I done and how do I revert it back to just showing the
>> > contents
>> > of
>> > the drive when I double-click it?
>> >
>> > Any help will be gratefully appreciated.

Anonymous
April 1, 2005 5:43:18 AM

Shamone 79 wrote:

> Hi. I dont know how or what I've done but since last night, when I go into my
> computer to open (by double-click) a DVD or CD-RW drive icon, instead of a
> window opening to show the drives contents, all I get is the XP search window
> opening asking what I want to look for in the drive. This is the window that
> opens when you selct the search option from the Start menu.
> What have I done and how do I revert it back to just showing the contents of
> the drive when I double-click it?

Check /correct/ registry entries:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell
"default" value should be set to "Open"

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell
"default" value should be set to "Open"

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell
"default" value should be set to "none"

--
Regards
Arkadiusz 'Black Fox' Artyszuk

Hi. When you say 'Check/Correct registry entries' , How do you do that? I
noticed that in the little list that opens if you right click the drive icon,
that 'Search' is at the top of the list in bold when it always used to show
'Open' at the top. I am a total rookie at this so please bear with me! I just
want it to work like it used to!

"Arkadiusz 'Black Fox' Artyszuk" wrote:

> Shamone 79 wrote:
>
> > Hi. I dont know how or what I've done but since last night, when I go into my
> > computer to open (by double-click) a DVD or CD-RW drive icon, instead of a
> > window opening to show the drives contents, all I get is the XP search window
> > opening asking what I want to look for in the drive. This is the window that
> > opens when you selct the search option from the Start menu.
> > What have I done and how do I revert it back to just showing the contents of
> > the drive when I double-click it?
>
> Check /correct/ registry entries:
>
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell
> "default" value should be set to "Open"
>
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell
> "default" value should be set to "Open"
>
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell
> "default" value should be set to "none"
>
> --
> Regards
> Arkadiusz 'Black Fox' Artyszuk

Anonymous
April 3, 2005 10:58:32 PM

Shamone 79 wrote:

>> Check /correct/ registry entries:

>> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell
>> "default" value should be set to "Open"

>> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell
>> "default" value should be set to "Open"

>> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell
>> "default" value should be set to "none"

> Hi. When you say 'Check/Correct registry entries' , How do you do that?

Open registry editor (Menu Start -> Run -> regedit) and then you should
browse registry keys mentioned above and correct them. If you are not
aware of registry editing rules you may instead of manual editing just
download http://foxblack.w.interia.pl/regfiles/RepairDriveAct.re... and
then click that file twice to make the changes.

--
!