AMD 45nm in 2-3 years time/Another price cut 30/35% in April

azza21

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2007
Just got home reading through my daily new sites and came across some more negative news from AMD. It seems these 45nm parts won't be around for at least another 2-3 years, thats seems a long time, heh Intel will be on 22nm parts by then :D
Also AMD have a high inventory of 90nm parts they need to sell and they are bringing another price drop in April 9th around the 30/35% mark, Yep Baron i know you love them AMD price cuts :wink:

Digitimes - More AMD news

TheInq - Price Cuts

It does seem all AMD ever get or bring to the table is bad news at this moment in time, come on DAAMIT, bring on da Barcelona and de la r600.
Then again all the above might just be speculation, more b*llsh*t, anyways whats you peeps opinions?

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Just got home reading through my daily new sites and came across some more negative news from AMD. It seems these 45nm parts won't be around for at least another 2-3 years, thats seems a long time, heh Intel will be on 22nm parts by then :D
Also AMD have a high inventory of 90nm parts they need to sell and they are bringing another price drop in April 9th around the 30/35% mark, Yep Baron i know you love them AMD price cuts :wink:

It does seem all AMD ever get or bring to the table is bad news at this moment in time, come on DAAMIT, bring on da Barcelona and de la r600.
Then again all the above might just be speculation, more b*llsh*t, anyways whats you peeps opinions?

Wow, how do I always get so popular? ANyway, it's had to say if they will hold off on 45nm. A yea between process changs may not be possible with the lower margins due to price cuts. They soul dtake the lower marhns with slihgtly higher prices at the expense of SOME volume. But since I'm not an insider, I can't say if they're doing the right thing.

I'll read that and comment again.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
I think you misread the 2-3 years. What it seems to mean is that the the tme to convert to all 45nm will be 2-3 years as they still have the disadvantage of having to retool the same Fabs rather than always buying new ones. Thsi means that when 45nm starts to tool it has to be at Fab 30 or there will be too much inventory at 90nm.

I don't kow why it seems like peole don't understand that they have to keep making Windsor until they have enough capacity coming out of Fab 36 to offset the difference.

Though if there are 90nm AMD chips out there I would be curious to see what's happeneing with NetBurst. I mean who would want NetBurst if they don't want X2.

I have said that Core 2 would knock the bottm of the ndustry and it has. Unfortunately Intel is in the industry so they will suffer also. Fortunately, they can do no wrong so their stock price won't fluctuate more than a few percent.

Maybe AMD doesn't need to get to the smaller proceeses so quickly. The average consumer has no idea what the nm spec of their chip is. AMD really needs to focus on being competitive, and staying profitable. While 45's should run cooler, and yield more chips from the same silicon wafer compared to 60's, that is only one ingredient of the equation for a successful company.

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006

TheInq - Price Cuts

Big moves' and speculation time man; 45nm in 2-3 years, totally contradict the 45nm in mid 2008 of many articles like this:
http://www.electronicsweekly.com/Articles/2007/03/23/41039/AMD+lines+up+65nm+chips+with+Chartered.htm

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

TheInq - Price Cuts

Big moves' and speculation time man; 45nm in 2-3 years, totally contradict the 45nm in mid 2008 of many articles like this:
http://www.electronicsweekly.com/Articles/2007/03/23/41039/AMD+lines+up+65nm+chips+with+Chartered.htm

Can any of you understand context clues?

AMD expects the migration to take between 2-3 years

Migration, not initial parts. That means it wold take 2-3 years to be totaly 45nm.

And frustration sets in.

Major_Spittle

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
Maybe AMD doesn't need to get to the smaller proceeses so quickly. The average consumer has no idea what the nm spec of their chip is. AMD really needs to focus on being competitive, and staying profitable. While 45's should run cooler, and yield more chips from the same silicon wafer compared to 60's, that is only one ingredient of the equation for a successful company.

They can't stay competitive at 65nm if the the competition is at < 65nm.

Cost and performance both suffer with larger gates, especially when Intel is making HK MG.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

Cost and performance both suffer with larger gates, especially when Intel is making HK MG.

So why IS 90nm Opteron still the King of the Hill?

Major_Spittle

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006

TheInq - Price Cuts

Migration, not initial parts. That means it wold take 2-3 years to be totaly 45nm.

And frustration sets in.
So when geese have a Migration North they are all at canada already? Or does this mean they are Moving North? Meh

Major_Spittle

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006

So why IS 90nm Opteron still the King of the Hill?

Which Hill is that?

LordPope

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006

TheInq - Price Cuts

And frustration sets in.

I thnk the Barons is spot on ... It wont be 2 - 3 years before AMD churns out 45um chips

it will be 2-3 years before AMD fabs are 100% 45um

its no different than AMD's 90 to 65Um process... but die sizes are being made at the some time.

AMD will fab its higher cost chips and larger chips at 45Um first...and keep kicking out 65um lower end chips well into 09

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

TheInq - Price Cuts

And frustration sets in.
So when geese have a Migration North they are all at canada already? Or does this mean they are Moving North? Meh

Not a good analogy. A better analogy would be if Ferrari puts it's first new engine design in cars in August but the last line doesn't get it until December that means they have them but not all products use them and the migration took that long.

Major_Spittle

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
Yeah, they didn't say they would "start the migration" in 2 to 3 years. They said the migration would take 2 to 3 years. So if they start their migration in Mid 2008 it would be mid 2010 or 2011 before they are done migrating to 45nm.

But define migration???? Have you migrated to 45nm as soon as you start selling 45nm, or do all products need to be 45nm???

This is my point. There is no point, the article was worded with fluff.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
I thnk the Barons is spot on ... It wont be 2 - 3 years before AMD churns out 45um chips

it will be 2-3 years before AMD fabs are 100% 45um

its no different than AMD's 90 to 65Um process... but die sizes are being made at the some time.

AMD will fab its higher cost chips and larger chips at 45Um first...and keep kicking out 65um lower end chips well into 09

Finally someone looks through clear glasses. It seemed obvious to me.

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
Then come and translate me this (from the article):
... and although ITRIS has projected that new technology generations will begin appearing approximately every three years at this submicron level, AMD expects the migration to take between 2-3 years.
And if I'm not wrong, migration is transition, maybe a 50/50 phase but I know for sure that the day when AMD will their fabs all 100% 45nm can not be called their MIGRATION to 45nm :!:

Major_Spittle

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
HPC, Quad sockets, FP, transactions, etc. The same amount of cores does not give a two socket C2Q the win over a 4 socket Opteron in TPC-H. SPEC also favors Opteron.

Ummm, in a one processor set-up Intel wins. In a two processor set-up Intel wins. In a three processor set-up Intel wins. In a four processor set-up Intel wins.

Intel also wins in Power consumption and cost of manufacturing.

btw- nobody cares about anything except X processor costs y dollars and has z output. You would be laughed at by any IT manager for suggesting to buy 2x as many processors and saying it is the same thing because you have the same number of cores. :roll:

Major_Spittle

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
Wow, here is a line of BS.

"45nm
45nm will most likely involve incremental enhancements to our second or third generation 65nm high-performance technology, which is expected to be industry leading in terms of performance and power efficiency for our product space.

The semiconductor industry has for a number of years introduced new technology generations approximately every two years. Recently the ITRS has projected a three-year cycle. It is likely that competition may lead to an answer somewhere between the two. Leading-edge companies may begin production on 45nm in 2008. AMD's timing will depend on a number of factors including the specifics of our customer's product needs."

I put the BS backpeddling in bold. ie

I have created the fastest jet fighter the world has ever seen out of the jet fighters I have created.

or

I speculate that we fully expect the K10 to be 40% faster.

:lol:

udontnome

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
I would be suprised if AMD can get any 45nm product out, even ES parts, in less than 3 years. The quanta phenomena at 45 are very much phenomena and Intel seems to have them well in-hand. People are used to seeing the blow up pictures of the die details that seem so... orthogonal. When Intel releases the pics of 45, people are going to say 'What the hell?!?!'

Intel has the 'bottomless pit' of cash to invest in dev because of their near miraculous yield levels vs. AMD's 'mediocre at best' yields.

Omerta

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006

TheInq - Price Cuts

I think actually it will be 32nm

TRENDING THREADS