Terabyte

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2004
Hey,
My computer takes a good 2 minutes to reach the windows login screen.
Anything I can do to speed this up?
The computer booting up after login is very quick.
But for some reason it takes ages on "Veryfying DMI pool data" at every boot and just after showing the loading screen seems to take a long time on a black blank screen before giving me the login screen.
Spec:
P4 2.4GHz with 1.77GB Ram 7200rpm.

My 1.3Ghz 512MB 5400rpm laptop boots up faster!

riser

Illustrious
Download Diskeeper and run a defrag.

Check our your MSConfig to see what's in your start up.

Are you over clocking your system?

1.77GB RAM? How'd you get that odd combo of RAM? You'd be better off with 1GB or 1.5GB, even 2GB instead of 1.77GB.

Terabyte

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2004
I have "pefect disk 7.1" defragger.
And it's on smart placement and very happy.

1.77GB is produced by having 1GB + 512 + 256. (1.768) which rounds neatly to 1.77 :)

MSConfig says alot of things.

But it's not the login startup process which is slow.
Its the bit before that.

I'm really concered about the Veryfying DMI pool data notification.
Nothing is actually said to be wrong with it.. It just seems to spend ages.
What is it actually doing?

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
"Verifying DMI (Desktop Management Information)(Hardware) pool data notification" delays are MOSTLY the BIOS having a problem with the cabling and jumpering of your harddrives and/or CD drive.

Make absolutely certain you have jumpers set right for Master or Single (some harddrives which are alone, must be set for Single). You may have to release the harddrives from the cage to read them for info on how to set the jumpers.
The blue end of the cable must plug into the mobo. Make sure you have an 80 wire IDE cable.
If you have two drives on the Primary, it is always better to set Drive one as Master plugged into the non-blue end, and Drive two set as Slave plugged into the middle connector (cable select does not always work properly).
The CD/DVD drive should be by itself as Master on the Secondary IDE connection at the mobo. NEVER put it with a harddrive on the same cable.

If that doesn't do it for you, it's another piece of hardware causing it. Try removing the two lesser sticks of memory (make sure the one left is in bank zero). Some mobos like having multiple sticks of memory to be the same size. If that doesn't do it for you, start disconnecting stuff one at a time - pci modem; sound card; etc.
If you fiddled with the BIOS at all (overclocking?) go back to defaults.