riser

Illustrious
A friend of mine asked me an excel question.. not sure how to do it.

He wants to be able to type in a number to a cell, ex. A1.

He enters 5. clicks off on B2 (or whatever) clicks back on A1, enters 7. He wants them to total 12.

He has a spreadsheet with a bunch of numbers where he goes through and just adds the amount changed.. any one have any idea on how one could do this?

sturm

Splendid
why doesnt he just enter 12?
He would have to use some formula in a1 to add numbers input in 2 different cells:ie sum(b2,b3) or something like that. When he clicks back onto a1 hes just changing the value of that cell from 5 to 7.

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Only thing I can think of is lots of VBA. I could see doing it with a few entry boxes, but each one is a lot of work...

You place a box over each cell and every time he presses enter or moves off the cell... bah, that won't work unless he's a mouser - I'm a keyboarder and you can't arrow to the box...

Ah, how about this:

Keep a copy of the sheet on a different sheet. When he enters a number into a cell, have it sum that on the 2nd sheet then replace the cell with the result.

Mike.

riser

Illustrious
Yeah I was thinking of referencing other cells but I'm not a fan of anything programming-wise anymore.
I told him it would be really messy to make it work and a little too complicated.

I didn't really ask what it was for.. I probably should because I have to imagine there is an easier way of doing whatever he's doing.

Thanks for the thoughts though. At least I can stop thinking about it knowing others think the same thing.

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Yah, its a pain.

If I was doing it myself (the entry, that is), I would probably keyboard like crazy and automatically create the formula.

e.g. Blank cell: First entry: "=7" Enter.
Next entry: F2 "+5" Enter.
etc.

Of course, that's not what he wants because it requires more keystrokes.

Mike.