- Can I modify the name WindowsXP is registered to?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Tech guy misspelled my name when installing Windows for me. Can someone tell
me how to fix this? It's annoying. Every new program I install has the name
field pre-populated with this misspelled name.

Thanks.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Change it with regedit

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\RegisteredOwner

Jon Yeager wrote:
> Tech guy misspelled my name when installing Windows for me. Can someone tell
> me how to fix this? It's annoying. Every new program I install has the name
> field pre-populated with this misspelled name.
>
> Thanks.

To fix the "Registered to" information for WinNT/2K/XP, you can use
Start > Run > Regedit.exe to edit:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\RegisteredOwner

and:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current
Version\RegisteredOrganization

How this will affect the name displayed in previously installed
applications will vary depending upon each individual program; some
read the registered owner information dynamically, while others read
it only during installation.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: